Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have saved up enough cash to get a Massey 12 that I have know about for a year or so.

Manuals didn't say anything about fluid in the transaxle or anything else. What are the major things I should look for on a 12 and the matching snow blower and rototiller? Any outstanding issues to be aware of? One I know of is the belts come off frequently (dad said this. Sold a 12. Kicks himself to this day about it.)

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
I never had any belt come off my 12. I have run a deck, tiller and snow thrower with out any belt trouble. One thing I know, is check the rear end for water in the oil. I have had trouble with that.

Noel

Reactions: Greasy6020

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
I put regular gear oil in mine, 80w-90. I don't know what it calls for thou. I had a rear end freeze one time on a 12 parts tractor, because of water in it.

Noel.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
I have saved up enough cash to get a Massey 12 that I have know about for a year or so.

Manuals didn't say anything about fluid in the transaxle or anything else. What are the major things I should look for on a 12 and the matching snow blower and rototiller? Any outstanding issues to be aware of? One I know of is the belts come off frequently (dad said this. Sold a 12. Kicks himself to this day about it.)
Are you getting a Hydro or Vari-drive (gear drive)?

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
True, never thought of that. Just was going on what I have. Not many hydros around here. So, hydro or gear. ???

Noel.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Does it run or have spark?

Does it drive?

Does the shifter feel loose changing gears?

Is the steering tight, not sloppy?

Is the right front tire chewed up on the inside?

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
If the right front tire is chewed up on the inside, it has had a tiller on the tractor a some point. Maybe some other reason too.

Noel

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it run or have spark?
Does it drive?
Does the shifter feel loose changing gears?
Is the steering tight, not sloppy?
Is the right front tire chewed up on the inside?
Sadly I don't know. Doesn't run. It has sat outside for a while (several years). I haven't taken a look at it. I am planning on buying it for a parts unit if there is any issues like you described above

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Like the guys said above
Also, Make sure the 90* gearbox and tiller shaft is with it. Without, its a parts unit tiller.
Check the tiller and gear box for excessive oil leaks and slop

If you plan on trying to start it, you'll need a batter and some choke cleaner.
Spark tester too

Sometimes, bad wiring van cause problems and you may have to jumper the solenoid to see of it will roll over.
Be sure not to try to jumper power to the spark circuit as that will damage the spark module.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
The front tire being chewed up is not that big of a deal, it indicates sloppy steering or miss adjusted steering stops.

As for the attachments as said above make sure the drive gear box is there and all the brackets for tiller, snow blower also.

Sometimes you have to look around his stuff a bit in case something was forgotten.

If your buying it for parts the price is probably low. The SSI unit on the engine is gonna cost $150. or more to fix if it has no spark.

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
If the steering stops are not adjusted or the steering is sloppy, the inside of the right front tire can contact the gearbox pully that drives the tiller, the tire could get chewed up some if it hits that pully. It did on mine.

Noel

Reactions: Greasy6020 and DH1

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The front tire being chewed up is not that big of a deal, it indicates sloppy steering or miss adjusted steering stops.
As for the attachments as said above make sure the drive gear box is there and all the brackets for tiller, snow blower also.
Sometimes you have to look around his stuff a bit in case something was forgotten.
If your buying it for parts the price is probably low. The SSI unit on the engine is gonna cost $150. or more to fix if it has no spark.
Price is $125 Canadian. Not running sat outside for a while (several years) comes with a snow blower and tiller

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
Good price.

Noel

Reactions: Greasy6020
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.