Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Ford lgt 145, Ford lgt 165, Massey Ferguson 1655,
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i stumbled on a diamond in the rough the other day. I ended up picking up this massey 1655 with 3 point hitch, rear pto, front pto, and mid pto. It was repowered however with a 24hp onan (im thinking a t260 pr p224,) but it runs great for sitting in the michigan elements for 15 years. The issue im having right now is the main drive shaft that hooks to the fly wheel is pretty bent up and wobbles quite bad when its running. I was wondering if anyone has fabed uo a new main drive shaft for theirs and if so what did you use and how did you do it?

Also, if anyone has any leads on a good place to get parts for a Onan p224 or t260 itd be greatly appriciated!

·
Super Moderator
54,600 Posts
Robert Kummer in Hastings, MN is the Onan man. Have his phone #. Is there a tag on the engine?

Reactions: sethra

·
Super Moderator
54,600 Posts
Since there is a cover plate over the points location, I'd say a P224.

Reactions: sethra

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re your driveshaft .... have you checked and confirmed it IS the shaft? Reason I ask is that the 11 spline coupler that conx the flywheel to shaft is notorious for a LOT of slop. Even if your shaft IS bent, that coupler is almost certain to be bad. These parts being 3/4"x11 splines is VERY odd ball and therefore ....NLA! But there is some hope in that the coupler can be had at Surplus Center for $12.65. Of course it wont help the wear on the shaft.

I did this mod to the coupler and it got maybe 90% of the slop out. Any time I'm in that area I give a check on the bolts ... and generally they need a 'snug up'

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re your driveshaft .... have you checked and confirmed it IS the shaft? Reason I ask is that the 11 spline coupler that conx the flywheel to shaft is notorious for a LOT of slop. Even if your shaft IS bent, that coupler is almost certain to be bad. These parts being 3/4"x11 splines is VERY odd ball and therefore ....NLA! But there is some hope in that the coupler can be had at Surplus Center for $12.65. Of course it wont help the wear on the shaft.

I did this mod to the coupler and it got maybe 90% of the slop out. Any time I'm in that area I give a check on the bolts ... and generally they need a 'snug up'

View attachment 402256
Upon further inspection Iv confirmed that it is actually the rear pto shaft that is bent. So Iv just unhooked it and tied it out of the way for now. Now just working on replacing the front oil seal which is spewing oil every time I run it. I unfortunately don’t have much confidence in the new seal because it looks like someone took a pipe wrench to the crank shaft that comes out of it and gouged it all up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Holy Smoke!! thats terrible, geez what was that person thinking???

Well, hopefully that mess doesnt go into the seals surface and if so:censored::censored:

Course, when you get the seal out, take a file and smooth that out, and clean with acetone or brake cleaner, get some JB Weld and fill those gouges in, then re-file/smooth it. I've done something similar, just not to that extreme! and had good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well, hopefully that mess doesnt go into the seals surface and if so:censored::censored:

Course, when you get the seal out, take a file and smooth that out, and clean with acetone or brake cleaner, get some JB Weld and fill those gouges in, then re-file/smooth it. I've done something similar, just not to that extreme! and had good luck.
That’s what I was thinking !! I’m glad someone else has tried it out! Thank you so much I’ll keep you guys updated

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Also do you have any photos of your front pto assembly that mounts to that shaft ? I can’t for the life of me find any info on it on the inter
Webs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Got the jb weld spread ! I lightly sanded the burrs off so when I spread it I could do a thin layer kinda like drywall mud. I have high hopes for this ! Thanks for the suggestion. I feel like I usually come up with some good ideas but you guys on here never cease to amaze me !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts