Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I put an 8hp in a MF 7 and had to cut the hood and grill to fit :( Also keep in it mind the Tecumseh snow blower engines don't have air filters so you will have to rig one on.

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
Welcome from the Black Hills! I put a 10 HP Tecumseh snow blower engine on my MF8E, but the tractors are probably way different.

Pics, Please!

DAC

Attachments

Reactions: HANKG

·
JMC fan
325 Posts
My first tractor was a recoil start MF 7. It had already been repowered with an 8hp Tecumseh and yes, unfortunately they won't fit without cutting the grill to fit the air cleaner.

I am not sure why, but the hood also needs to be trimmed to fit the larger blower housing. I can only guess that the mounting bolt holes are offset on a 7 since the bigger engine fits under the hood of the 8 just fine...

If it were me, I would lean toward finding another 7hp Tecumseh, or any other engine that would fit without cutting everything up. Seems like it's getting harder to find a 7 that hasn't already been modified. A Wisconsin or Briggs may also fit without sheet metal modification...?

I was also told by an old small engine mechanical that Tecumseh engines, especially the aluminum block and snow king engines are best suited for winter weather since they have a hard time staying cool in hot weather. I suppose it would not matter much if you weren't using it to mow with though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts