Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how in the heck do you get the steering wheel removed? i have liquid wrenched for 2 weeks and tried a gear puller, [this dug into the plaastic and finally broke little chunks out of the steering wheel]. i am going to make a 2 piece collars that will be under the wheel and try my gear puller on it. HELP:madhop:

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Do a quick search. This has been mulled over many a time. Dan(Olcowhand) has it down to
a science. Uses a bearing splitter, and puller I beleive.
Good luck. I find this to be the most trying part of a resto.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Justpics said:
how do you get the searing wheel cap off, let alone the rest of it.
VERY VERY Carefully.

And for goodness sakes, don't break it.

But, seriously, soapy water, and a paint brush, and a small slot screwdriver. work your way around
gently. Go around 3-4 times, gradually using a larger screwdriver. be sure you put some lube
on before you put it back together.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Justpics said:
then I take it just pry's off ?
Sorry, I may have been mistaken with my post.
If you have the clear plastic center cap, yes, it just pops off.
Have you got a pic of what you have?

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I have an 8 and got the wheel off after soaking it in penetrating oil for a couple of weeks. I used a large pulley puller with wide arms on it that pulled against the metal hub of the wheel. It took a lot of force to remove it. I have heard of some people cutting the shaft in half and then welding or coupling it back together for the reassembly.
Mine had the metallic decal in the centre of the wheel which you can carefully pry out without doing too much damage. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts