Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long way from getting to the mower deck in my restoration, and don't have a clue as to what I'll need, but a thought occured to me. I've seen numerous reference to how difficult it is to get parts for the Massey decks. Has anyone ever tried to retrofit MTD or something similar (easy to get) mandrels etc. to a Massey deck?

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
If I am not mistaken the spindle bearings are somewhat easily obtainable. The gear boxes may be a different story but I am pretty sure the decks on the MF10/MF12 use the same gear box as the MF7/MF8 decks and those decks have two of the gear boxes on them.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
PS, the 7/8 gear box ix not the same as the 10/12 box. However, the internal gears are the same. You "may" be able to swap in some shafts from the 10/12 into the 7/8 box, but the 7/8 box has one side of the box made to attach the blades, and the other has splines for the coupler. The 10/12 box is designed for pulley's on both sides.

I am running a gear from my 8's deck in my 12's gear box so I know the gears are the same. You normally will find worn gears, but like I had mentioned, you can run on the other side of the gear and they mesh smooth.

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I'll keep all of that in mind. I did roll the deck over the other day and gave the blades a spin (at least they DID turn) felt pretty rough. No idea if it was the spindles or the gear box................yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts