Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Snow

Hi I have a Massy 10 that won’t start. It will sit there and run like a hit miss motor and sometimes catch on but it will only run for 30 seconds then die. I’ve bin thrown the carb and the ignition system any ideas on why it’s doing this

· A Little Off Plumb
9,908 Posts
If it is a points and condenser ignition the condenser may be intermittent and providing a weak and intermittent ignition spark. If you had a timing light you could clamp it on the plug wire and look at the flash of the timing light to see if it is steady or intermittent. Could also be a bad spark plug, bad fuel, ignition timing, low compression ore another problem - just suggestions to check that may help. Did the problem occur all at once or has it been hard to start for bit and getting progressively worse?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone
I have put a new plug in new gas clean the points and it still won’t catch on. It seems like it’s really rich. Sometimes when you idle it down it will catch for a minute and then die. Any one know a good place to get a carb kit?
Also it this the right plug?
Any one know how to link a video to this post?

Attachments

· A Little Off Plumb
9,908 Posts
Thanks everyone
I have put a new plug in new gas clean the points and it still won’t catch on. It seems like it’s really rich. Sometimes when you idle it down it will catch for a minute and then die. Any one know a good place to get a carb kit?
Also it this the right plug?
Any one know how to link a video to this post?
There should be a link icon at the bottom of your post box as per the attached image. Paste the link to the video in the "URL" line.

You state that you cleaned the points but did you install a new condenser? If the condenser is intermittent or bad an engine will run rich and sometimes will idle but will have no power and spit / sputter when you try and rev it up.

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Software

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updates I have got the tractor to idl some of the time but when you try to rev it up it just start’s sputtering I have changed the condenser and tested it it’s good I have changed the spark plug it’s good the points are new and set right but it still won’t run
Is there any chance it’s fireing 180 of or is there something else in missing?
Thanks

· A Little Off Plumb
9,908 Posts
Updates I have got the tractor to idl some of the time but when you try to rev it up it just start’s sputtering I have changed the condenser and tested it it’s good I have changed the spark plug it’s good the points are new and set right but it still won’t run
Is there any chance it’s fireing 180 of or is there something else in missing?
Thanks
An intermittent or bad condenser may test ok depending on what method and meter you are using to test it as under actual usage conditions the AC voltage can peak at about 200 volts as the coil fires, the magnetic field collapses and the resulting series of voltage / current oscillations begin and subside - just an observation I learned the hard way many years ago working on a single cylinder Tecumseh engine with a bad condenser in a small engine shop. As stated, the ignition coil could be incorrect or some of the windings in it may also be damaged / shorted resulting in a weak / intermittent spark - especially under compression. Could also have a bad high tension wire going to the spark plug from the coil or a connection in the primary circuit may be intermittently making contact with ground or opening up. Another possibility is the flywheel key may have sheared which could possibly throw the timing out depending on the type of ignition and what opens and closes the points - crankshaft, camshaft or ?? If you advised what make and model the engine is on the tractor and whether it is magneto or battery ignition it may help others assist you with suggestions. You still have not posted as to whether the problem occurred all at once or if the problem has been getting worse over time as I asked back in post #2 of this thread.

If the ignition was firing at 180° off (I assume that is what you meant to type) I would doubt if the engine would even try and run as the piston would be near the bottom of the cylinder and there would be very little compression and a valve might also be open depending on what cycle the engine was on. You should be able to determine when the points are opening in relation to where the timing marks are on the engine to determine if the spark is occurring at the proper time using an ohm meter if you think the spark is occurring at the wrong time. Just my thoughts.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the condenser off and running tractor and after testing on the non running tractor(still no luck) put it back on and it still worked fine on the other tractor

the tractor was running fine the died just like you hit the key and it’s bine doing this ever since it will hardy run but just sit there and miss

I was thinking it was the coil to it has a coil on the fly wheel and a little plunger on The cam opens the points. I have checked the flywheel key and it’s fine too.
Thanks your help is much appreciated

· A Little Off Plumb
9,908 Posts
Not saying it is the coil as a bad ignition switch or wire rubbing/ touching on something in the primary circuit could be creating a weak spark condition. Is this battery or magneto ignition? If you post the make, model and serial number of the engine there may be a service manual loaded on the site that would show resistance readings of the primary and secondary windings of the coil and how to measure them to help determine if the coil is bad. The plunger might also be sticking resulting in the points remaining open longer than they should which would also affect timing and the primary circuit of the coil functioning properly. If it is magneto style ignition which usually grounds the points wire to shut the engine off you could try disconnecting the kill wire at the engine to eliminate a switch or wiring problem. I have also seen a brand new spark plug be bad out of the package so if the one in the other tractor is the same you could try it temporarily just to make sure the new plug is not bad. Learned a long time ago that everything made by man is prone to failure and just because something is new does not mean it is good. Just some suggestions that may help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts