Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Got to see Memphis Belle today.

Rides were only $450. I wanted to ride, but the wife ordered me not too.

Attachments

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Some more.

Attachments

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was also a FM2 fighter, same thing as a F4F Wildcat.

Attachments

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have video, but I need to edit it first.

Reactions: hamman

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Word of advise, this is NOT for a fatman like me. In the second set of pictures is a V looking thing. That is the walkway between the bomb racks. The catwalk at the bottom is 8" wide. I thought I was going to have to back out. It was all I could do to squeeze between the supports.

Reactions: hamman

·
Cub Cadet Collector
1,457 Posts
Great pictures of some great airplanes!!! Thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Funny I should read this tonight, I just watched "Command Decision" on DVR tonight. One of the best AAF movies ever.

I missed a ride in "Aluminum Rain" last time she was here, I won't miss a ride in any of them again!

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Thanks for sharing these bits of history. Important to remember the roles of these planes. Also the roles of the men that manned the planes like these and all the others.
And thank the tens of thousands that died in them. In WWII over 50,000 AAF flight officers were killed and probably twice as many enlisted crew members.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Reactions: powerking56

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Wow. What a great reminder of the sacrifices of the past that gave us our freedom today. Those sure were bristling with machine guns! There doesn't look to be much protection for the crew. I guess that's to be expected as the weight had to be kept down.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
What impresses me is the heroism of the guys who flew these planes. Look at the cockpit: there is no electrical automatic anything. Its 1000 levers, 100 gauges, and your training.

Now fly over a Japanese island being straffed by more steel than you care to know about, carring a couple tons of high explosives in your tail, and knowing that if you go down you're done.

Those guys were the greatest.

Ben W.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This plane didn't have a pressurized cabin, and notice no doors on waist gunner positions. At 20,000 the temp can hit -60.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
What impresses me is the heroism of the guys who flew these planes. Look at the cockpit: there is no electrical automatic anything. Its 1000 levers, 100 gauges, and your training.

Now fly over a Japanese island being straffed by more steel than you care to know about, carring a couple tons of high explosives in your tail, and knowing that if you go down you're done.

Those guys were the greatest.

Ben W.
My Dad was a pilot in the Air Force in the late 50's and flew a cargo plane, a C-47 I think. He told me once that part of the final test for a pilot was to be blindfolded and still be able to reach the correct switches. They are awesome machines.

Reactions: superaben
1 - 18 of 18 Posts