Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I’m sick of the original Tecumseh 10hp in my MF 10. So the repower has begun. A repower I’ve done on 5 other tractors [Simplicity/AC, & a Cub] however this one seems to be going much smoother than the others. Found a Cub Cadet with a Kohler Command 16hp in it for DIRT CHEAP. And it runs like a dream.
NOTHING has been modified - not the frame, the hood won’t need to be, I’m able to use the original gas tank, as well as the Variable Drive Pulley from the Tecumseh - with the purchase of a crankshaft sleeve. I’ve got a belt ordered [had to get a new one since this engine pulley is a bit further forward than the original], once that arrives I can get the engine officially mounted in place. New throttle & choke cables should arrive this week as well. Needed longer ones since the connection on a Kohler Command is in what is now the “front” of the engine. I’m trying to find a muffler similar to what originally came on the Tecumseh to modify for the command, and that is most likely going to be the difficult part. I’m hoping to have this done for GT DAZE mid July. And have it on display with the 2 remaining Command Repowers we have here in our collection.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Mode of transport
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Engineering

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll opt for the Kohler every time.
Same here. We’ve done several of them, and can usually find Cubs where the owner doesn’t know what went wrong, or the trans is out etc etc and it’s an easy swap. I’ve got the electrical part down, and can get them running with only 3 wires.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good job! Looks very clean! What was wrong with the original engine? It looks to be in decent shape on Camera. Just curious.
It is. Runs, however I took it to our local plow day, and it just decided it wasn’t getting enough fuel. Made adjustments and it still wouldn’t run right. I rebuilt the carb prior to plow day and it ran great without any issues, even under load. It gave me such a headache…And even tho I’m a HUGE stickler for original everything, I really don’t want to mess with the engine/carb every time I want to use my tractor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts