Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to start a new thread on the restoration and customizing of the MF10. I plan to make a narrow front end and put a 3 point hitch on it. I got it into the shop last night and did a once over for the things I will need. I have purchased the wheels and tires and paint. My have I forgotten how expensive paint is. I am going to keep a log of all my expenses and time worked on it. I will update this thread as I go. I plan on staying with this to get it done as soon as I can. My father is in poor health and I would like to get it done while he is still alive, he would enjoy seeing it.
These are the before shots.
PB020003.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Elf guardian
Joined
·
7,712 Posts
Hats off to you. Do it while pops is there to enjoy it.
I'm going down the same road right now, with my dad.

Don't mean to be a downer on your thread.

Lookin forward to updates.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I spent all day working on the MF10. I sandblasted the rear wheels, took the tin work and motor out of the tractor. I took the steering gearbox apart and cleaned it as it had a lot of grease around it. After I saw how it was made I understand why. Getting the steering wheel off was a little challenge but I just got a bigger hammer. The vari speed lever is stuck to the shaft so that will be my next project. I did get the wheels primed and a coat of silver mist on them. I have a lot to do and will probably spend part of tomorrow working on it. PB040013.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,167 Posts
Thats looking good so far Dan. Thanks for posting this thread!
 

·
Accumulator
Joined
·
13,481 Posts
Can't wait to see more progress pics.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
Spent another 8 hours on it today. I painted the wheels, took the transmission out. I took the steering tower off and put it in an electrolysis tank thinking I could free up the vari drive control shaft. I had it in about 4 hours and it did not do much. I am not sure how long it takes but very little rust came off, some paint but that was all. I cut the front axle brackets off and prepared the frame for the front end shaft. I have to get the tires mounted so I can get the height right. I also sandblasted the seat and fenders.
PB060029.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I no longer need a wide front end I would sell it if anyone needs it. Or better yet I would trade it for two mower gear boxes off a MF 7 or 8 mower deck. PB050018.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Proud to be Deplorable
Joined
·
29,904 Posts
Dan, after 4 hrs in the tank, it wouldn't have done too much. Besides it's a line of site process... If it's up in somewhere, it may never happen. You could try to leave it in overnight and then I would soak it in warm kerosene for a day or two. Some guys have had good luck with 50/50 kero and ATF. Good luck.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't do any work tonight but I did get the tires mounted today, and I thought paint was expensive!!!!
I dug out the new NOS Tech motor. It is for a Wheel Horse but it is the same model as the Massey.
PB080031.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
I worked 2 1/2 hours on it tonight. I put the wheels on the rear. I had to take a tap and clean out all the bolt holes as the tractor was buried in the dirt and these were all full of dirt and rust. It looks pretty cool with those big tires on it. Then I started making the front spindle. I figured out the length ( I hope) and then bored the hole for the front axle. I had to ream out the bushing so the 1" shaft would fit as it was a little undersized. The next step will be to get the plate welded on the bottom and the spindle shaft in place. This will take some work to get it all straight and true. This is the fun part.
PB100032.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I worked a couple more hours on it tonight. I put the plate on the bottom to get the hole right for the spindle shaft. Then I welded a large washer onto the outer spindle housing to make a bearing surface. I am going to use a nylon bearing in between the plate and washer so I don;t have to oil it. Less grease running down the front tires. I am going to put a 1" shaft collar on top of the plate and weld it to the plate. Then I made the shaft long enough to reach the frame. I am going to drill a hole in the frame and the shaft and bolt the shaft to the frame. This will give it two support areas and it will allow me to change the shaft if I ever bend it. This will make more since when I take a picture of it. PB110040.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I worked all day on the MF10. I finished the front spindle putting a heavy collar on top of the plate for the shaft to run through and then bolted the top of the shaft to the frame. I put the axles in the spindle and machined a grove for an expansion plug to keep grease from running down the spindle onto the tires. I put a grease zerk in the back side of the spindle. Then I had to get the shifter and indexer for the vari speed off the shaft. It was really stuck, I had to take it to the press to get it off. I drilled a hole and put a grease zerk in it so this won't happen again.I cut out the nylon bearing for the spindle and made a spare which I will forget where I put it.Then I sand blasted a lot of parts and the frame. A coat of primmer and I am done for the day. PB110045.jpg
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
Top