Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the carb linkage for a MF 12? I have the service manual but it does not have a clear picture. I am putting on a replacement carb. The way it looks like the linkage hooks up seems backwards, I have the old carb still but it doesn't help either. I know I should have taken a picture before taking the carb off to begin with. :wallbanging:

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
I just searched for a while. You're right, nothing on the site.
If it was a 7,8,14,16, or a 4 digit... You'd be in business.
I will have to mine my way thru the snow to the other building, but I can do that later today.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked, but sorry I don't.

I can get you lots, tomorrow afternoon.

Hopefully someone has some sooner.
Will-Tomorrow afternoon will be fine.

I just searched for a while. You're right, nothing on the site.
If it was a 7,8,14,16, or a 4 digit... You'd be in business.
I will have to mine my way thru the snow to the other building, but I can do that later today.
MH81-thanks, I looked on the site also and didn't see one.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
If these don't help let me know & I can take a few more. I still have the carb & engine together as it was but the rest of the tractor has been SB, & primed.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Machine Auto part

Attachments

Reactions: MH81

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the ones off my MF12g.
Thanks, that answers my question. It looks to me like I need to drill a bigger hole for it to hook correctly to pull the throttle the correct way. Here is how I have it set now. Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting (sorry about picture being blurry)

Attachments

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't quite see what you mean in that pic, but I'm glad the pics were able to get the point across.
Where did you get the carb again?
Carb was bought online thru Banta saw as a replacement carb for the hh120. The only issues I have came across is I had to replace the mounting studs with allen head bolts due to no room to put the nut back on and the linkage issue from the governor to the carb. It also has a extra port by the choke, looks like for a breather tube.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Carb was bought online thru Banta saw as a replacement carb for the hh120. The only issues I have came across is I had to replace the mounting studs with allen head bolts due to no room to put the nut back on and the linkage issue from the governor to the carb. It also has a extra port by the choke, looks like for a breather tube.
That will need to be plugged, I believe.

·
Super Moderator
54,473 Posts
Thanks, that answers my question. It looks to me like I need to drill a bigger hole for it to hook correctly to pull the throttle the correct way. Here is how I have it set now.
attachicon.gif
100_0190.JPG (sorry about picture being blurry)
On the blurry pic, back the camera up a bit. Then get a program to work with the pic once on the computer. I use PhotoScape. I can crop and resize pics to get what I want to show without the blurs.

·
Super Moderator
54,473 Posts
That looks like the correct hole compared to the pics Alan posted. But your rod is not bent like his on the ends. Looks like his had a zee bend in it and may be a bit longer.

Reactions: esbbent

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Kenny is right you need a z bend at the end of your cable. Your not going to get a good push & pull stroke with that hook bend. A brass or Teflon bushing in that hole would be good too. That hole being much larger than the cable will have too much slop & will put a lot of wear on the carb.

·
129 Posts
In your pictures, the plate at the top of the throttle shaft is a bit different to the standard LME carb. I don't think any of those holes will work well for you. If you look at MH81's pics you can see that the linkage from the governor runs through a hole that is about the same distance away from the throttle shaft centre as the stop on the plate and offset by roughly 180 degrees - that gives it the leverage to pull the throttle open. I think your best bet would be to make a small plate to fit on top of the existing one that would extend out over the carb flange, with a hole drilled in it to take the rod from the governor, more or less in line with the centres of the throttle and choke shafts.

MH81 thinks faster than I do - I apologise for the repetition, didn't see his post!

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
In your pictures, the plate at the top of the throttle shaft is a bit different to the standard LME carb. I don't think any of those holes will work well for you. If you look at MH81's pics you can see that the linkage from the governor runs through a hole that is about the same distance away from the throttle shaft centre as the stop on the plate and offset by roughly 180 degrees - that gives it the leverage to pull the throttle open. I think your best bet would be to make a small plate to fit on top of the existing one that would extend out over the carb flange, with a hole drilled in it to take the rod from the governor, more or less in line with the centres of the throttle and choke shafts.

MH81 thinks faster than I do - I apologise for the repetition, didn't see his post!
I may have gotten it in faster, but you said it better.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
I finally got the camera on the correct setting here is a picture of the hook up.
attachicon.gif
carb circled correct.jpg . I believe the rod needs hooked to the hole with the circle for it to work correctly.
Ok, I got a chance to go get those pics.
These are pics of both the MF12 and the MF10 throttle linkage. Showing they are the same and for different views mainly.

First off, the ends are just hooks, no Z bends.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Car
The hole to throttle shaft measurement is 1/2"
Hand Finger Terrestrial plant Thumb Nail
The angle of offset is 30 degrees
(I was sight lining this, so if I'm off one or two, I am sorry... Best eyeball measurement)
This pic looks as if I am not over the shaft-hole line. I was from my perspective, had someone over my shoulder, trying to take a pic with the ipad.
Automotive tire Finger Nail Gas Electric blue
Wood Elbow Human leg Machine Metal

And some other pics from both tractors that may be better than the previous ones.

Attachments

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ok, I got a chance to go get those pics.
These are pics of both the MF12 and the MF10 throttle linkage. Showing they are the same and for different views mainly.

First off, the ends are just hooks, no Z bends.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
The hole to throttle shaft measurement is 1/2"
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
The angle of offset is 30 degrees
(I was sight lining this, so if I'm off one or two, I am sorry... Best eyeball measurement)
This pic looks as if I am not over the shaft-hole line. I was from my perspective, had someone over my shoulder, trying to take a pic with the ipad.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

And some other pics from both tractors that may be better than the previous ones.
MF Gray and Alan both of you thanks for helping out. I am really :wallbanging: for not taking pictures before taking the carb off. I still have the old carb and need to go thru and see if there is an adapter plate I missed. Here is the org carb which looks different than Alan's. Wood Gas Hardwood Wood stain Auto part Off to the garage to go thru parts, now I understand why dad always said don't throw anything away until what you are working on is back together and running.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,473 Posts
Alan, I see the bends better now. The 4th pic makes it look like a zee bend, but it's just the edge of the carb I am seeing out there!

Reactions: MH81
1 - 20 of 22 Posts