Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, last saturday I was at a local plow day with my 1975 mf 12 gear shift. 12 hp tecumseh. I plowed with it for 15-20 mins and it shuts off. wait about 20 min and it will fire up again. I thought it was an overheating issue but just wanted to get your guys opinion.

thanks,

Collin

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Did it sputter, stumble, miss, backfire, hesitate, labour or any thing like that before it quit ?? Or did it quit like you shut the key off ??

Noel

Reactions: collinmf12

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,756 Posts
Could be vapor locking in the fuel line or in the carb.Do you have an exhaust leak under the hood or your fuel line close to the jugg or the exhaust?

Just had a tractor here today that was boiling fuel in the line.Fuel line was actually touching the cooling fins on the jugg.Pulled the cap off of the tank and you could see it bubbling up out of the hose.I ran new fuel lines on this one because it was dry rotted a bit and was to short to run where it needed to go.

·
Jack of all trades, master of none.
1,133 Posts
Unplug the 3 wire plug on that blower housing that will disconnect the motor from the tractor wiring. See if it stays running then. If it keeps shutting off pull check the spark as soon as it does. Don't crank it with out a grounded plug in the wire you will ruin the solid state

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Hope it isn't too serious, I know I saw smoke rolling out of the blower shield when it stopped.

Had fun meeting you and plowing on Saturday.
If you got smoke coming out the blower housing then you must have a build up of grass or a mouse nest in there, I'd check and see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts