Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I am kinda new to garden tractor restoration. I bought my mf 12g a few months ago. I found out it is a 1975. It also has no brakes. I see a spot under the left rear fender where something mounts. When the clutch/brake peddle is pressed, this belt like hoop piece wants to grab something, but that something isn't there. I assume its a brake drum of some sort. I have no clue if I am calling it the right name or not. Not even sure where to find one. Thanks for any help. As soon as I can, I'll post some pictures.

·
Super Moderator
54,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One of the Massey folk will help out soon. Pic help can be found in my signature.

Reactions: Jacksdad

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Check in our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. It does sound like the brake drum has fallen off. Chances are it is a standard drum and readily available. BTW, that is a great tractor. We would like to see pictures. Good Luck, Rick

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk. Have a look in our Manuals section for a MF12 service manual. It should give you the info. you need. You may be able to get the needed parts from one of our forum sponsors.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
One of the best sources for some information about your tractor is the agcopartsbooks.com site. You can enter using the "guest" button, then search for "12 tractor" and "Massey Ferguson" brand. That will bring up a list and you should find "12 tractor" in that list. Ignore the other models that will show up and go to that one and you'll have an exploded parts listing of all the various assemblies that go into the tractor. Here is a shot of what I think you are talking about.

Automotive tire Organism Font Motor vehicle Rim

Welcome to GTTalk, look forward to seeing more from you.

By the way, its in the fine print from when you joined the site, pictures are mandatory! :rolling:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:welcome: to GTTalk I have my MF12H apart for restoration so here is a pick of that area. This would be on your right side. Mechanically speaking you always refer to the sides from the drivers position. Let us know if this helps.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle Train Rim Automotive exterior Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:welcome: to GTTalk I have my MF12H apart for restoration so here is a pick of that area. This would be on your right side. Mechanically speaking you always refer to the sides from the drivers position. Let us know if this helps.

attachicon.gif
ref10.jpg
attachicon.gif
ref20.jpg
attachicon.gif
ref27.jpg
Contact Joe's Outdoor Supply on here because he parts out the MF's.

Reactions: Jacksdad

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts

attachicon.gif
ref10.jpg
attachicon.gif
ref20.jpg
attachicon.gif
ref27.jpg
Sawdust, the original poster said he had a 12G and you have posted pictures of your 12H. While the assembly is similar, his brake assembly will be on the other side of the tractor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty, I appreciate all of the tips, pictures, well wishes, and wisdom. I have a part number for the brake drum, However, I am striking out like a blind baseball player. I searched Jacks small engines, among other sites, with no luck. I refuse to give up. This is merely an update on my progress or lack there of.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
I went on agcopartsbooks and looked. The early 12's with the drum and the 10's all had the same part number for the drum. The only change was the later 12's has a pulley and shoe instead of a drum and brake.

So, you're looking for a brake drum off any 10 and most 12's

Daniel may have one, I have an old rear end at the farm I can see if there is a drum on it too.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
I got it off, and it's sitting on my bench, ready to mail.

I didn't have a chisel with me, so I didn't get the woodruff key out

of the shaft. Do you have one, or have a source. Let me know, as

I can pop that one out tomorrow night. Not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts