Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;
I have a mf 12 variable speed garden tractor and when I put it in second gear and give a little gas it bangs and clangs enough that I have to stop and take it out of gear. It works just fine in 3rd reverse and forth it's just in second. Any ideas Thanks for your time gismo

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
First off, WELCOME to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. I would say that you have a broken gear or shaft in the trans.. I hope you can get it figured out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sorry it took so long to get back.Had the trany in the shop and the guy told me he took it apart and the trany is ok, it still makes noise when in secon gear. Any Ideas

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Sounds like the trany is not holding in 2nd gear.
DETENT SPRING on the shifter fork is suppose to hold it in gear, if there weak or broke they will try to pop out of gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys Found problem. Lock out lever under seat for first gear was allowing shift to go a bit too far. slackened and slid lever towards shifter and works perfect now. Thanks for the help and iI'm sure I'll be talking soon. Great place to get help when needed.

·
Super Moderator
54,613 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, gismo!

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Very glad to hear it isn't something more serious, but you do have a small tranny problem. If the little lever was allowing it to go too far, the detent ball should have stopped it and held it in place.

Just be aware that it could start popping out of gear on you and that would be were I'd start looking as to why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts