Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to restore the 1200 that I got back in the early spring.I couldn't pass up the deal!LOL $140 CAD for the weights and they threw in a non running tractor Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tranny was tight and both axle seals were gone!I swapped out the rear end from my 1200 that i had bought for parts,cleaned tank and carb added gas and away she went.It s been taking up shop space since,until a month ago,when i decided to strip it down and paint it. Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive exterior Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine Automotive wheel system I'll post more pics tomorrow!

Attachments

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Looking good so far. I remember when you posted that you bought the weights and got the Gt free.
Good luck and keep us posted..

·
Super Moderator
54,359 Posts
That's coming along nicely. Gonna look real good when your done!

·
1,087 Posts
Well I got the tires and rims done next so I could roll it around my self. Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle then the stearing tower and wheel in place. Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Then came the rear fenders They were pretty beat up along the body lines(they are the worst to straighten) Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Then I was onto the engine.After I got it running and drove it around for a bit,It didn't smoke at all and seemed to have all the power that a 12hp. should have,I didn't feel the need for a rebuild.So I stripped the tin covers off and freshend the black up. Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,359 Posts
Looking good! You are coming along well with it. Thanks for the pics!

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coming along nicely. Do you have the deck for it?
No I did not get a deck for it! I think you could only get the 44" for it!Correct?There has been a guy at Barrie flee market for the last couple years with one,but never thought i'd need it.No mule drive either.Do you know where there is one?I was just going to wait til I found a cheap one or maybe a MF sweeper?

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had alot of work on the dash to do,I don't know why people abuse these things?Both sides were just hanging on and missing some corners,so i hot ironed the broken seams back together and bondoed in the missing pieces.can't seem to find a before pic. Electronic instrument Audio equipment Motor vehicle Gas Electronic engineering This is when i was done and new decal was applied.Overall I was satisfied with it! Then onto the hood,It was also tougher than first thought.I managed to get out @95 % of the dings. Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Massey can only get the left side of the hood decal so i found a local shop to repop one for me.It's not an axact match but what was I to do. Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Wow, it sure came out nice. Looks great. Cogratulations on a nice job.

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Man, That MF is really looking sharp. You are doing a great job. The body work you did looks like new tins, way to go!!

·
Super Moderator
54,359 Posts
Looking GREAT to me! I think you have done a wonderful job! Dash is like new. Way to go!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Nice restoration. Thanks for the great pictures. It's interesting to see the frame and transmission. I didn't realize they used an angle drive on these. Pretty sturdy looking frame on it! Your pictures of the plastic dash repair are really nice to have as well.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Thanks guys still meed a couple small decals,a seat and a amp guage and maybe a hour meter.Then I will dive into one of the 5's that I have !
Oh, you'll like doing the 5. Easy machine to work on, and fun to ride when done.
The part I liked about restoring the 5, is that it's just light enough that
it can be wrestled around and flipped over easily enough. I put it up on a 3 x 6
sheet of plywood on sawhorses. No bending over required.
Suggestion, start soaking the hubs on the rear axles with penetrating oil.
Mine where nasty to get off. I had to put the whole axle in a press, and that
was a real treat, on the left side, because the sprocket is in the way.
Looking forward to updates on that resto.

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tips IamSherwood!I think Im going to need to do engine work on this one though it has no compression at(hopefully a stuck valve)Just started tilling the garden yesterday so mabe a week or two before i start on it!

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Wow, that turned out great. Thanks for the pics.

I have always wondered the same thing about the dash. Makes a guy wonder what horrible set of circumstances can cause that much damage and leave the rest of the tractor intact.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts