Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted before regarding the oil leaking from the base of the oil filter on my MF16. My filter connects to the tranny with a short 3/8 nipple. I tighten the filter down using a filter wrench and I still get squirts of oil from between the tran and the filter.

When in use I really have to keep an eye on the oil because I'm afraid I'll hurt the tranny. Anybody having similar problems with a 14 or 16 ??

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have run into this same situation with faulty automobile filters. Leaked right off the shelf but I can't recall the brand. There were write ups in trade magazines regarding this problem. I am sure you have checked to make sure you are using the correct filter and the filter only needs to be spun on hand tight in order to prevent leaking.

Install a different brand of filter.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Mine leaks a little bit , but can't tell exactly where it's coming from,
So it's still leaking, but a small amount. If it sits for a couple of weeks
it will leak about a four inch circle of oil under it. When I check it, I
never put any oil in it. So I check it often to make sure. I am sure
I must put some in when I check it , but never can remember when
or how much I put in. Noel

Reactions: jayjay

·
74 Posts
I had a similar problem with the trans oil filter. Except my MF tractor was a a 1650. After checking the tightness on all of the fittings, many times. Changed the oil filter several times. Topping up the trans oil after every mowing. After a couple of years doing this. I finally located the source of the hydraulic/trans oil leak. A fine crack in oil filter housing near one of the line fittings. The filters I use are Carquest hydraulic spin on, matching the MF recommendations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts