Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Having problems while running the 14. Runs great while cold but will not take a load or rev very well when it gets hot. It coughs and spit and sputters and will stall if it is not brought back to idle. I can get it to rev to a high rpm if I bring it up very slowly. Need help on This one. Any thoughts? And thanks in advance

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that. No so sure it's a carb issue. It dosent just run rough it really shakes and will start to exhaust out of the air cleaner. I'll try to get a video up later

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
I think that is a Kohler? You may have ignition issues rather than fuel issues. Drain the tank, install a fuel filter, put in fresh fuel treated with something like Seafoam or Stabil, then do an ignition tune-up, new points, condenser, plug and check gap. While you are doing that, might as well check the valve lash too. That will cover the general maintenance items.

Beyond that, Kohler coils can break down when hot. Again, that appears to be a fuel related issue with all the sputtering, backfires, gas out the carb etc. If general tune-up items don't fix it, try a new coil.

Reactions: LYON222

·
Summer.
4,536 Posts
I second the coil being bad, but first check the carb, adjustments, cleaning, gasket and intake manifold to block gasket.

Reactions: LYON222

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Another thing that might of happened as it happened to me is something vibrated loose.

Wire connection somewhere, these engines shake a lot and in my case the ground wire came loose.

Caused erratic running.

·
24 Posts
I second 101 senior! Double check your points gap and try putting back on your old condenser and see how she runs. Also make sure the charging system is working properly. I had a k321s motor that had a loose connection between the regulator and battery that wreaked havoc on the points for some odd reason. With the points cover removed they would spark violently when the rpms were raised causing the engine to run poorly. Just make sure all the connections are good and tight.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
It almost sounds like it's sucking ALOT of air.

Could it be that after 10 minutes, the carb is warmed up enough to open up a

crack in it? If that makes sense, try spraying quick start at/around the carb, as you

open the throttle.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Another thing that might of happened as it happened to me is something vibrated loose.

Wire connection somewhere, these engines shake a lot and in my case the ground wire came loose.

Caused erratic running.
It's not black smoking or stalling right out, I still say something loose, electrical, shorts out or breaks connection as vibration changes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've look but can't find any loose wires. Any key places to check? And you cannot see it in vid but it will smoke slightly.
Any idea on what the squeak you can hear is??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts