Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought another MF14 that is in pieces. Yes pics will be on the way
. I was looking it over trying to decide if it will be worth putting it back together or parting out and noticed the rear axle seals were leaking. I pulled the seals out but noticed that when the park brake is applied the rear axles still turn and when I turn the axle the pulley for the brake does not turn. Anyone else ran into this? I am planning on pulling the tranny and seeing what may be wrong just looking for pointer as what to look for. I know on my running 14 with the brake on the real axles will not turn.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Do you have the service manual and parts book. They are available for download in the Manuals section of the forum. I wonder if it could be the hydro bypass for pushing the tractor is engaged on your parts tractor.

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
There is no bypass for this transmission. It has a 2 speed rear end with a neutral position for pushing by hand.

Probably the key fell out of the brake hub. Sundstrand Series 15 hydro and Peerless 2600 rear end.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the cover off of the transmission and the shaft that drives the 2 axle shafts was out of place. I have a parts diagram and going over it part by part to make sure everything is there and in the correct location it looks like someone has been inside it at one time. Tudor it was not the key on brake hub that was the 1st thing i checked, I have had that happen on my other 14.
Here are some pics of the 14 like i said it was in pieces Gas Shelving Wood Shelf Machine Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Machine tool Automotive exterior Gas Cylinder Wood Artifact Gas Motor vehicle Natural material Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle The deck is in bad shape all the hub's are locked up. The main reason I bought it is the blade. The blade needs some repairs where the main part is welded to the back of it and the hydraulic mounts need rewelded.

Attachments

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update on the tractor, the summer weekends were spent rebuilding, cleaning, and painting. Here are some pictures of the final project. Before the decals Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs . and after decals Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Lawn mower . The engine I found out when I went to replace a leaking head gasket is not the 14hp kohler but a 16hp kohler.
Two more parts to find steering wheel cap and front plastic nose piece.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,348 Posts
Looks good! Now, is it really a 14 with a 16 engine or a 16?

·
Super Moderator
54,348 Posts
You made it look nice. You can always say it's a 14 with the big block option!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts