Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a MF 1450 to use at my hunting camp. It has PTO, hydro 3 point hitch and is a 1982. Seller is asking $700. Seems reasonable since it has a 3 point hitch and PTO. My question is, how hard are parts to find for this tractor? The only thing I know of that is wrong is it needs a new PTO adjuster spring. Any websites you know of where I can get parts for an older garden tractor like this one?

Thank you,

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Hi.

Welcome to GTT.

:welcometogttalk:

A good place to start is agcopartsbooks.com

Depending on your location, you can get parts like that spring, from a near by
MF dealer, or an online site, like Jacks small engines.
There are manuals for you to download here on GTT.

Sure would be nice to see some pics, but if it's in good shape, 700 is a fair
price for that machine. they are bullet proof, if looked after.

·
1,087 Posts
:welcome:
Got to say I love my MF 1450 to mow the grass. I mow 2 acres a week and never any big problems with her.

·
Junk Whisperer
1,443 Posts
Welcome to GTtalk, I love my 1450, I like the foot hydro. Shawn

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
doggawn,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.
That MF 1450 looks in great shape.

·
Super Moderator
54,354 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice 1450, even has the hub caps. Good luck with it!

·
4,481 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk. Sorry nobody's got to your question yet. I know there were catchers for them, I just can not put my finger on one right now. One I saw was for the rear discharge deck and had blower and a metal box on the back of the tractor.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the 1450. It looks pretty solid and should be well worth the 700 if everything checks out ok.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all of the warm welcomes! I can't wait to put some ag tires on and see how well the MF will pull compated to my newer Craftsman tractor I've been using. In fact, I'm even more tempted to grab a tow strap and tie to two up and see who wins the "tug of war". Any takers? 20.5 hp Kohler V-Twin (1995) versus the MF1450?

I really have no clue which will pull harder, but everything I've read says the older mowers had more torque! Even a 14hp vs 20.5hp. I'll keep you posted

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
doggawn said:
Thank you for all of the warm welcomes! I can't wait to put some ag tires on and see how well the MF will pull compated to my newer Craftsman tractor I've been using. In fact, I'm even more tempted to grab a tow strap and tie to two up and see who wins the "tug of war". Any takers? 20.5 hp Kohler V-Twin (1995) versus the MF1450?

I really have no clue which will pull harder, but everything I've read says the older mowers had more torque! Even a 14hp vs 20.5hp. I'll keep you posted
It would have more to do with weight and traction than horsepower. The craftsman has big HP because it is in fashion and it probably runs a larger deck than the MF. I'm guessing that a healthy MF1450 would out pull the Craftsman without much problem particularly if the Craftsman is a lawn tractor versus a GT. Most of the lawn tractor hydros can only put a couple of HP on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
54,354 Posts
If the Craftsman is a newer model, you might blow the rear end in a tug of war with that Massey. I don't think I would try it. Good luck with the 1450.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Definitely a nice Massey 1450. I don't think $700 for it is out of line at all either. My bet is on the 1450 winning the tug of war. Like already mentioned though it is all going to come down to weight. Now if you could get a set of racing scales and weight each corner of the tractors and make them perfectly equal taking in to account the weights of the operators then do a tug of war. That would be pretty cool to see.

I love the single cylinder Kohlers, I think you will enjoy the tractor immensely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts