Garden Tractor Forums banner

MF-16 Implement Drive Clutch

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  pianotuner 
#1 ·
Hi...I just found and joined the forum. I have a 1975/76 MF-16 Garden Tractor. Yes, it still works great...until the other day. I fried the "Implement Drive Clutch", bolted to the front of the Kohler 16 HP engine and (when activated) runs the mower deck pulleys/belts.

Can anyone out there help with a possible contact, part...or someone that would be interested in rebuilding it?

Not sure it can be rebuilt.

I hate to put this grand lady down.

Picture attached.

Thanks,

JT

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to GTT. Check with our site supporters on the home page. Download the manuals for it from our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day). It may be possible to replace just the windings if that is what failed.

Do not even think of scrapping the old GT. It can be repaired and even restored to like new. To buy a new machine that comes close to its capabilities would cost over $5000 today. Good Luck, Rick

#5 ·
:wave: Welcome to GTT, especially to another Massey owner.

What do you mean it "fried" ? Lock up all together or stop engaging? If it locked up usually the bearing, in the center of the piece on the left, locks up and then it wont disengage the PTO. I have replaced just the bearing, there is usually a big snap ring (the size of the outside of the bearing) which holds the bearing. Take the old one out and go to a good bearing supply store and they can match it up to a new one. If it is not engaging at all make sure you have 12V going to the coil, if not start checking the wiring and the PTO switch. There is also a ground wire that bolts to the engine make sure it has a good ground. Ted

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
The potting material went bad! You can fix it. You need to find the 2 ends of the coil and peel short lengths off the winding. Then resolder or clip them to where they went. The use epoxy to repot the coil. I did it about 6 years ago and it's still working. After 6 years I can't remember if the ends or pinched of soldered. I think the directions are on the old Yahoo site.

Clean out as much of the old potting material as possible before the epoxy.

The gap between the coil and housing is where there used to be potting material. It disintegrated and the coil spun when you engaged it.

#8 ·
OK, great...at least you think it can be repaired. I would not try this without the instructions you mentioned. I'll have to look for them.

There has to be a repair shop that will tackle this project. I have a few threads out to sponsors on this site...I'll see if any respond.

Thanks,

JT

#9 ·
Ask you mechanic it he knows of someone that rebuilds starters. It's really a simple deal to fix it. You mechanic might be willing to do it. You just have to find the 2 loose ends of the coil wire, pull a little of each one loose. Just enough to reach the connecting points. Scrape just enough of the insulation off to reconnect them. One will just be the ground connection. Reconnect the 2 ends and fill the gap between the coil and housing with epoxy. Let it dry, and put it all back in and you are good to go for another 40 years or more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.