Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a question once again. On my 1655 when I push the pedal in either farward or revers it doesen t move right away and lately it hasn t been moving as fast as usual. Is this normal in the colder weather? I thought the oil might be thicker than what is recomended I used Massey Ferguson hydro Fluid in it.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I'm not sure what the MF fluid is. In cold weather, you wanna use ATF. I use Dexron III. Can you post a pic of the MF fluid bottle?

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No not quite it was in a 5 gallon jug my cousin put it in there when it was at his house. Idk what it looks like or what it is Ill try and get a picture of it and post it on here tomorrow. Thanks for the help

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
The only other oil I know that AGCO/Massey ever specifically marketed was a specific oil for the rear end / hydraulics. This was very important to use in the older MF stuff like the 165, 50, 35 etc. The Hydraulics wouldn't work right if you used anyone else's oil.

The basics of the oil was a 80-90 wt oil. If he used that, it would be to thick on almost every day, but would get much worse in the cold. Ask him if it was thick and took a long time to pour or if it was thin like ATF.

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Ill ask him about it but I think that might be the oil he used.

·
4,476 Posts
You may want to check the charge pressure on the hydro. I have seen the pin that drives the charge pump break causing no charge pressure.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Before I got to involved in the hydro itself I would check the drive belt and make sure it is not slipping.

Howard

Reactions: olcowhand

·
32,409 Posts
HowardsMF155 said:
Before I got to involved in the hydro itself I would check the drive belt and make sure it is not slipping.

Howard
So true! That slipped my mind, so maybe the belt is slipping too! LOL

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Today at school for FFA week we had Tractor Day. So since I live so close I drove my 1655 up there and I realised what is wrong with my rear end. Why it won't move very fast. Well my belts were slipping behind the mottor because the oil we put in the tranny is to think. What kind of automatic transmission fluid should I put in it, we are gonna drain out the stuff thats in it now and put in new.

·
32,409 Posts
Well Today at school for FFA week we had Tractor Day. So since I live so close I drove my 1655 up there and I realised what is wrong with my rear end. Why it won't move very fast. Well my belts were slipping behind the mottor because the oil we put in the tranny is to think. What kind of automatic transmission fluid should I put in it, we are gonna drain out the stuff thats in it now and put in new.
Even with thicker oil, those belts should not slip. I recommend changing the fluid and both belts. You can use Dexron III trans fluid. My older MF14 manual also recommends 10w40 motor oil for heavy duty or high temperature use. It's the identical Sundstrand hydro.

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even with thicker oil, those belts should not slip. I recommend changing the fluid and both belts. You can use Dexron III trans fluid. My older MF14 manual also recommends 10w40 motor oil for heavy duty or high temperature use. It's the identical Sundstrand hydro.
I was also wondering what kind of transmission filter i need to get and where to get it from. Thanks for the help!

·
32,409 Posts

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Sounds about right.Its a pita to fill if you have the rear pto and 3 pth because you have to fill thru the fill tube.Larry

Reactions: whitelt120

·
299 Posts
Like MH81 said, he may have put 90 weight in there. I would think that could possibly make the belts slip just by putting so much stress on the pump trying to pump it.

·
32,409 Posts
Massey 14/16 manual does state a Massey oil specific for the Sundstrand... M1110 But yes, if by some miracle he pumped 80/90 in there, now that would change things!

·
119 Posts
Paint Tin Wood stain Material property Drink I believe this is the stuff we used. I have some more questions

1. Where is the best place to get an oil filter for an onan b43m engine?

2. How do I remove the belts that are connected to the pto shaft and the driveshaft behind the engine?

Attachments

·
32,409 Posts

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I picked up my oil and filter yesterday and i plan to change it soon.
But i need help woith this too. I have no idea what this is and how it works.

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Tread Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Helmet Automotive tire Automotive lighting Jaw Bumper Helmet Automotive tire Automotive lighting Glove Motor vehicle

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts