Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
18 Posts
I just purchased a MF 5 rear engine rider, going to pick it up Saturday. Its only the second one I can recall seeing and appears to be in excellent condition especially since the 1st one I saw was a major restoration unit partially buried in the dirt. Figured I'd try something other than the standard tractor models I have. My daughter asked why I bought it... I told her they are fairly rare and now I can say I own one, do I need any other reason? She just shook her head. LOL!

Larry

Attachments

·
4,473 Posts
Nice find. I have 6.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Great find,Larry.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Congrats, they're a hard thing to find.
They're a fun ride.
I resto'd one this past summer.
If you've got any questions, or need to see any pics , just ask. Glad to help.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments and offers of help. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I get into it, I don't think it has any major issues.. Time will tell though. I was glad to find a service manual for this little guy here on the forum. I'm thinking of picking up the other one just for spare parts and to save it from further neglect. My wife and daughter just don't get the "tractor thing" its nice to have a place where we can share our finds, knowledge and enthusiasm for these little gems.

·
4,473 Posts
" I'm thinking of picking up the other one just for spare parts and to save it from further neglect"

Oh my goodness you have not left yet????????

·
18 Posts
The neglected one is about an hour away from me the 5 on the other hand is about 6 hours. Yes you are correct the neglected one is a 6. After looking at other photos and looking through the service manual closer there are significant differences between the two. I may go ahead and get it.... might try a restoration on it and give one of them to my grandson when he gets big enough.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Nevrdun said:
The neglected one is about an hour away from me the 5 on the other hand is about 6 hours. Yes you are correct the neglected one is a 6. After looking at other photos and looking through the service manual closer there are significant differences between the two. I may go ahead and get it.... might try a restoration on it and give one of them to my grandson when he gets big enough.
Well you might as well get the big gun too.

massey ferguson 832 | eBay

·
119 Posts
IamSherwood said:
Well you might as well get the big gun too.

massey ferguson 832 | eBay
If I have a chance Im gonna try and get this one I would like to add it to my collection. These things are neat little machines.

·
Live long and prosper
6,784 Posts
That's a nice find. Congrats.

·
1,087 Posts
I just picked a 5 up on the weekend without a engine or deck.Neat little gem,but all the brackets and idlers,bolts ect.came in a box.if some one has a pic or two of the underneath without the deck on could they please post so I can see how things are aranged under there! Thanks

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
First pic is underside of the 5. It was missing the deck belt tensioner.
Second pic is of the 6. Same arrangement. Once I got the 6, I was able to duplicate
that missing tensioner. I'll see if I can find some better detail pics.

P1010056.JPG
P1010083.JPG

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts