Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
This is an older restoration from last year, but it was never posted here. I figured I would do so and attach a link to the sticky with the parts info.

This mower deck was in need of a ground up restoration, the bearings were shot, and the deck rough. To start, I needed to remove the spindles, but the pulleys were stuck. I tired to sneak them off with electrolysis, but in the end I had to just cut them off with my grinder.

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Machine Wire

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Circle Rim

With those removed, I now had the deck stripped bare. I was able to find the missing top shield on e-bay and armed with these, it was time to sandblast the deck. Once blasted, any dents and heavy rust pitting that would show was filled with body filler and primed.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Furniture Wood Composite material Gas Automotive wheel system

Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Wood Automotive design Gas Flooring Composite material

Attachments

Reactions: Cziggy1563 and rjl

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Now, once the deck was primed, it was entrusted to a friend who sprays in truck bed liners. By luck, he just happened to be doing a red truck liner and sprayed the liner where I had outlined with a sharpie.

But, while this was out, I took the time to restore the spindles. They were torn down, sandblasted and powder-coated. I took this time to install grease fittings as well. The spindles received all new bearings and seals, and the needle bearing was upgraded to a 1" wide bearing for better contact. Throughout this restoration, all new stainless steel hardware was used.

The bearings & seals were bought at Accurate Bearing Supply:

Please see this thread for bearing and seal information: http://gardentractortalk.com/f2-massey-ferguson-snapper-amf/massey-ferguson-mf10-mf12-mower-deck-bearings-seals-6065/

Wood Gas Font Auto part Hand tool

Wood Household hardware Gas Auto part Metal

Tableware Serveware Gas Plate Machine

With those finished, the mower deck was picked up with it's fresh bed liner. This was done to keep the rust away where the wet grass sits under the shield. The underside was not coated, more on that later. You can see the liner perfectly matches the shield, right down to the bolt tabs. This keeps the shield from rubbing and creating rust too. (Plus, when I need to re-paint, I can just mask off the liner and paint only the outer edge. This way all the belts and pulleys do not need to be removed.

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Gas Auto part

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Now before painting, I wanted to brush a coat of semi-gloss black Rustoilzum rusty metal paint. This has held up well in the past, so it at least helps keep the rust at bay.

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Automotive exterior

Then it was time to mask the liner and give it a coat of paint. I used the Tractor Supply paint, as I do plan to repaint this pretty much every year or two to keep it looking nice. I mean, it IS my main mower!

Comfort Wood Flooring Hardwood Event

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Bumper

All the other little parts and brackets were also restored and painted at this time. One dry, it was time to bolt it up and give it a try!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

And there we have it! It's due to be painted again to fix up the scratches on the sides, but it mows great and leaves a very good lawn cut and the roller does a good job stripping too. Thanks all! :wave:

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I must say, it mows wonderful too! I find that the flat discharge shape will toss the cut grass further and not show as "windrows" if the grass gets heavy.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I love the way the MF610 mower deck mows. Especially with the roller all the way across the back. It stripes the grass just like the new fancy zero turns, granted maybe not at 9 mph. I got my bearings yesterday and got them installed. Gotta paint the spindles yet, mower deck was mostly stripped down and then primed and painted.

·
12 Posts
awesome idea with the bed liner. i think im going to do my mf12 like that, but bed liner the underdeck and back roller. real nice machine you have.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just my opinion here, but I would not do the underside myself. A yearly coat of some rustoilzum rusty metal black will be a better choice. The rough texture of the liner will make the grass stick to the deck even more than it does now. The roller should not be a problem, but with normal use, the light rust is worn off and it keeps a somewhat clean metal look. The main reason I did the top side was to keep the grass that will sit under the cover, from rusting the deck out. If you look at my deck in the photos early on, you will see just how deep the rust pitting was, mostly under that cover. After sandblasting to remove the rust, and a rusty metal primer converter, the liner should prevent it from rotting. I do know it's always packed with grass when I remove the cover!

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a little bump for the new people... The photos are fixed and working again!

Reactions: MH81
1 - 13 of 13 Posts