Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
I thought that I would start a new thread so y'all can follow along with another full rebuild. I picked this early style 620 snow-thrower from GT Talk member DMF in mid-September 2011. All in all it's in great shape and almost everything was there. All I am missing is the main bracket for the frame. With some great help from GT Talk members, I have all the photo's and measurements that I need to re-produce (and improve) the original bracket.

So, here are some photos that I know y'all enjoy so much!

Here it is just after I got it unloaded from the back of my Jeep.

Rectangle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Musical instrument

Food Rectangle Technology Giant squid Vegetable

Wood Rectangle Gas Machine Metal

Saw Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Rectangle

The first thing was to let it soak in PB Blaster overnight and then tear it down. All in all, it is very simple, but the auger had to be pried out. Looking at the auger, there is just no free room to remove it. I will have to paint the inside of the housing and then re-spray the inside after I get the auger back in.
Anyway, with it stripped down, I pulled my makeshift electrolysis tank into the shop. (my garden trailer lined in plastic)

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

And after a few days, I pulled it out and hit it with the wire wheel on my grinder. That set-up works great too! Once I had it cleaned up, I flipped it over and back into the tank it goes! Now it needs to cook for a few more days before I can pull it out. After that, I can start in on the auger, chute, and larger brackets.

Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

For now, half a week later... this is where I stand. I am quite pleased with how quick it's going and how simple the design is. I did notice a break on the cast arm that the pulleys attach to. I am going to look into the cost of having it welded, worst case, its pretty simple and I will just hand make one from steel. I will update this tread as I go, so tag it to remind you of new posts and enjoy the progress!

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
1,509 Posts
It's looking good, I like your large scale Electrolysis tank.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Wow thats looking really good.Larry

·
Tractorholic
428 Posts
Those are always broken as far as i know, both of mine are. Shouldn't be too bad for someone to fix, ive had worse things to weld. I like the trailer tank! If i ever get around to doing some electrolysis, i might have to borrow it...:D

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Hey,that is looking good.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I can't wait to get it all up and ready to go. I can't wait to get the trailer out of my shop... it's stuck there until I am done and with the placement, my Jeep fits in the shop with just one inch to spare. (And only that if perfectly straight and the rear touching the trailer!)

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Well, today I had time to get the main body out of the tank and all cleaned up. This took a while to do as the top of the blower housing is hard to clean. I was able to sneak my 4.5" grinder with a wire-wheel inside it, but with out the side handle. Thank God for heavy welding gloves, I tell ya! Lots of wire brushing and hand sanding later, I was down to this:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle door Bumper

Rectangle Rim Gas Automotive lighting Automotive tire

And a nice coat of primer (three cans later that is!) and I had it looking like this. I still have to fill some rust pitting, but the poly-putty can go over primer. My next step is to start in on the mounting bracket and finish striping the smaller parts. I have the chute and auger in the tank now.

Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Auto part

Wood Automotive design Wood stain Hardwood Gas

More to come as time to work on it allows...

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally, The server is back up and running! There are the photos. :worshippy1:

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Last week I left the measurements and a little piece of the "Massy" logo at my sign guy to be reproduced. Plus I just put in the order on ebay for the tri-logo's.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it comes out as nice as the ones you do, I will be pleased. ;-)

·
173 Posts
That is a nice work! I will have to find a way of doing this kind of treatment myself :)

I am wondering about molasses degreasing currently. Also seems effective

Keep up the good work!

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing with this method is that it will not only clean loose rust & paint, but it gets deep intp areas you cant get to. It will totaly convert the rust.

Here is a good link to explain what it does.
The science behind electrolysis

And here is one to explain how it's done.
Rust removal by electrolysis

Oh, and this guy is really good too.
Electrolysis

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
I need to take some more photos, but I have all the parts in primer now. The auger needs a crack welded, but I need gas for my MIG. Next week I can pick up the main pulley shaft that drives the auger, it had a crack and I sent it out to be welded up. The other day I sandblasted a few of the small parts and brackets. Some of these were the non-painted parts like the springs and control rods. (etc) They were rusted and would not look good in the finished product. I decided that they were small enough to powder-coat them. So tonight I ran a batch or two through the oven. I just have the rod that connects to the PTO pedal to do. The problem is that it is too long for my oven and I need to build some sort of door add on to keep the heat in and bake the part. I could paint it, but I want to try keeping it close to original as I can.

Here is a photo of some of the coated parts. The color is pretty close to what they looked like new.

Audio equipment Wood Gas Cylinder Electronic instrument

You can see some of them in this photo. They really needed to be cleaned up, eh?

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a long over due update.... I do not have as much time or place to work on my tractor after moving, and I ended up buying a second blower to obtain the mounting bracket. Right now, the (amazingly still in primer) blower is still waiting paint, but I have been running the other blower for a couple winters now and wanted to share some more photos.

Here is a photo of a hybrid of the two blowers. I used some of the restored parts to set it all up, but for now it works and I really need to get the other blower head finished!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Lets take a second out to marvel at how awesome that gray paint looks, huh? You can also make out that recovered original seat I had done. This tractor has been getting restored a little here and a little there as the years go on. What I really want to do this summer is to see if I can find a way to design a mount for the mower deck, to mount to the snow-lower bracket that bolts to the frame and front axle. I have a spare broken front mount, so I am not out any parts... but it would allow me to use the mower deck without pulling the front axle off!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

I had found a super rare belt cover on e-bay and just had to grab it too. It did not have the hardware, so I used threaded rod and some custom made sleeves on my lathe. I used lock tight to keep the threaded rod in the block, and stainless acorn nuts to allow easy removal to take the belt off. (Yes,I really tend to over build things!)

Fluid Line Wood Cylinder Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

I used the chute and deflector from the 1st blower I bought as it was already in primer and ready to paint. The 2nd blower was missing the top defector and needed to be sandblasted. I added new cable, and turned a really cool (and totally over done) sleeve for the cable to mount to the chute, but I liked how it came out. I had to do this because of the way the bolt attached the cable to the chute. This allowed me to tighten the bolt to the chute, but leave the cables loose to move around but not tighten into the blower housing. All the hardware is either replaced with stainless or powder coated.

Wood Red Helmet Wood stain Tints and shades

Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Fender

So this is where the project sits now... I had to replace the chain at one point, but the chain bought at TSC was enough to build a chain for both blowers! My plan is to finish and paint the 1st blower and keep the 2nd one as a back up in case something ever goes south and I need to keep working. I am also eyeballing the blower mount arm I have as a spare and thinking that I can use it to build a plow blade mount from. Then I could use the snowblower frame bracket for the blower, mower, AND a plow blade! :wave:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts