Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body with a MF 7 or 8 geared have high/low range like mine. Just wondering. Noel

Reactions: A.C.T.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
If by High/Low you mean a pulley which can be switched around in 15 to 30 minutes, then yes I do. I have mine on low since I only mow on roughly 3/4 acre of grass. That gives me the extra low gearing which is nice for trimming around things plus letting my kids drive. Mostly it moves the gears down about one gear. 3rd low is about the speed of 2nd high, 2nd low is about the speed of 1st high, and 1st is around 1.5 mph as I recall.

Reactions: IamSherwood

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
My 8G has the same setup. I think it has always been in low range since I got it.

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you put the belt from the big pulley to the small pulley in the middle to get high range to low range. Outside pulley is for the pto.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
So you put the belt from the big pulley to the small pulley in the middle to get high range to low range. Outside pulley is for the pto.
I'm not sure you've got exactly the right picture from what you've said. At the motor of an 8, the pulley only has two grooves, one for driveing the transmission and the other (outer) for driving the PTO. In between the motor and the transmission, there is a double pulley, with a larger and smaller pulley size. If the pulley is turned so the large side is belted to the motor, and the small side is belted to the transmission, it reduces the speed of the driven pulley at the transmission. If the pulley is turned so the small side is belted to the motor and the large side is belted to the transmission, it increases the speed of the driven pulley at the transmission.

Reactions: A.C.T.

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well with mine I do is move the belt from one pulley groove to the other. All I do is depress the clutch to loosen the belt and move the belt to the middle groove. Takes about ten seconds to change. My pulley on the engine has three pulley grooves, but its all one piece The groove farthest away from the engine is the pto groove. The other two are high low range. Noel

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Well with mine I do is move the belt from one pulley groove to the other. All I do is depress the clutch to loosen the belt and move the belt to the middle groove. Takes about ten seconds to change. My pulley on the engine has three pulley grooves, but its all one piece The groove farthest away from the engine is the pto groove. The other two are high low range. Noel
Can you take a couple of pictures of the setup? That sounds nice and easy.

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, tractor is in storage at the moment and we are under 2 to 6 feet of snow, but have a picture from the manual, its not a good picture. So in between the drive and pto belts is another belt groove, this where you put the drive belt for low range, just by depressing the clutch and moving the drive belt. Hope this makes sense. Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got to say that is a new one on me---- my 7 only has two groove pulley on the motor....I've never seen one with three grooves but it sounds like it would workout good that way. Thanks for the diagram ( propane1 )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts