Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my father in law bought a mf7 at our last show and we just realized that it is not charging. I don't know much about the massey on the charging system. can anyone give me some pointers??

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
You will need to check whether you get power coming out of the engine first. Since I'm not a Massey guy, what engine do you have? Tecumseh?

Ben W.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
HM70 I think. I have an mf8 and I think electrically they are the same. There is a 3 prong connector coming out from behind the flywheel. The 2 outside wires are the coil. You should have a low resistance between them and AC voltage when the engine is running. The voltage regulator is mounted inside the console. It can be defective and if you have enough AC going into this box and no charging current then it's likely the problem. Check all the connections at the regulator as well. They can be a source of problems in a no charge situation. Check our Manuals section for a service manual for the 7.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Brian is the man today. Do keep in mind that stators rarely go bad. Check for a bruised or broken wire before shredding the engine to buy an expensive part.

Ben W.

·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had to have my stator rebuilt by Dale Colvert. Mind you I have a 12. Good luck
just got done looking at the 7, and best I can tell the stater is bad. I only have like 8 volts ac at the plug. according to the manual that means its bad. also the middle wire on the plug has been cut. does anyone know what that one is for??

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
just got done looking at the 7, and best I can tell the stater is bad. I only have like 8 volts ac at the plug. according to the manual that means its bad. also the middle wire on the plug has been cut. does anyone know what that one is for??
I think the third wire is a kill wire? Was it repaired or bypassed?

The 8vac is that a measurement from the two going to the stator as per the manual or from one pin to ground?

·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the third wire is a kill wire? Was it repaired or bypassed?

The 8vac is that a measurement from the two going to the stator as per the manual or from one pin to ground?
the third wire is cut into. and the 8vac reading is per manual, from pin to pin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts