Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been reading older posts on here and haven't found what I'm curious about. I have a MF 7 with orig engine. I'd like to put a more modern engine in. I see Kohler 161 is a good pick but are hard to find and can't buy new anymore. Anyone done a repower on the 7 with luck? Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Sorry I can't help with your repower question, but I think I might have a couple of 161 engines. I will take a look.
PM me if interested.

Reactions: fishingbud

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
You could probably fit in a new small Honda clone if you don't care about it looking stock. I also think the Tec HM 80 or 100 series engines would fit. The MF8 had the 8hp and the 10 is the same physical size. Snow blowers are a good source for these engines but many of them do not have a coil for charging a battery and the flywheel will probably not interchange. I found that out the hard way on my MF8. I'm not sure about the Kohler. They may be physically larger than the HM series Tecumseh.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Sorry, I thought they were 161's. They are not. They both are 141's, 6 1/4hp. Had to look as I couldn't remember. Sorry, thought I could help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,260 Posts
The MF 7 I have has a Briggs&Straton 8 HP in it, was in it when I got it years ago. Works good , but no charger in It. Noel

Reactions: fishingbud

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise! I purchased a predator 6.5hp from harbor freight and it was a nearly perfect fit! Anybody add rubber bushings to the motor mount surface?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

·
83 Posts
Same motor I put in mine. Ran great and mowed excellent was really happy with that motor. For the price too if anything goes wrong with it which mine never did just buy another one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's true! Can't beat 100 bucks. Only thing is I'd like the exaughst to not blow right into the hood...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone been able to find different exaughst for these engines? Sites I checked out were all out of stock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the same motor to put in mine I was thinking about putting a peace of pipe on the muffler it's self and exiting it out the side ......maybe copper tubing if need be .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts