Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mid Dec. I brought the MF8E , serial # 6625, into the shop to start it's resto.
The engine needed attention. It smoked badly. As can be seen, the round fenders
had cracked, as did the tin over the frame. Two studs that held the foot rests where
broken, and it just deserved to be tore down and brought back to life.

Previous owner loved his grease gun, but never cleaned up the old grease anywhere.
That made the teardown easy. I never had to fire up the torch to get any bolts out.

Over the past 3 weeks I've gotten alot done on this project, and it's going back together
nicely. Engine got refreshed. Most everything has been sandblasted, primed
and painted. Only the tin has to be painted yet. Rims have been cleaned up and
painted. Here's a bunch of pics.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,611 Posts
Gonna look good! Fine job on a cool tractor.

Reactions: IamSherwood

·
Tractorholic
470 Posts
Man that look great! Are those new caps, recromed or did you clean them some how?

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the engine back on, and running. Runs great, but one issue I'm having, is that the throttle wants to
creep back to idle. I gotta figure out how to tighten that up, but I'm almost afraid to touch it. It's 1965 plastic.
Why did we ever start using plastic?

Attachments

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
It's coming along great.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
IamSherwood said:
Got the engine back on, and running. Runs great, but one issue I'm having, is that the throttle wants to
creep back to idle. I gotta figure out how to tighten that up, but I'm almost afraid to touch it. It's 1965 plastic.
Why did we ever start using plastic?
If you use a pair of large Vise-Grips, squeeze the center rivet it'll tighten up.
Might be easier to remove the control from the tractor.
I've done this a couple of times and it worked, I had to squeeze with both hands on the vise-grips.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
DH1 said:
If you use a pair of large Vise-Grips, squeeze the center rivet it'll tighten up.
Might be easier to remove the control from the tractor.
I've done this a couple of times and it worked, I had to squeeze with both hands on the vise-grips.
I shouldn't have flushed out the cable. That dirt in there, gave it just the right amount of friction before.:smile1:

Not the same lever as the red MFs. I wish it was. These are plastic, and on their last
leg. I've been searching since July for replacements. Even just to get it out of there
again is like playing with fire.

Edit-Add before pic.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
I remember where I saw it. It was on a push mower either an AC or Snapper it fastened to the cross bar below the handle. You know of a junk yard that has push mowers?

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DanP said:
I remember where I saw it. It was on a push mower either an AC or Snapper it fastened to the cross bar below the handle. You know of a junk yard that has push mowers?
It snaps in. I did get it working, by just snugging up on the bolts that hold it together.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look around. Wouldn't hurt to have a spare.

·
Super Moderator
54,611 Posts
Looking good, Will. Just out of curiosity, what are you using to make the tires look so good? Good luck with the 3-point!

Reactions: IamSherwood
1 - 20 of 75 Posts