Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to refresh everyone's memory, early this past summer I brought home two tractors, a MF 12G and an 8G. It looked like the 8 was in better shape, so I began fixing it first, with a new steering sector gear off e-bay, and a new set of blades from my local Massey dealer. With those issues resolved, I started to do some cutting, and got about 100 feet and the engine threw a rod and died. I spent the next several months looking at motors everywhere, trying to find one that would fit. I decided that none of the 9 hp imports that I was finding would fit. After a lot of looking I found the tecumseh "formula" series on ebay being sold by Small Engine Warehouse. My wife told me "Go ahead" so I ordered the engine and it arrived earlier this week. Here is how the two engines look.
Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Self-propelled artillery Toy Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I pulled the old engine out and started bolting in the new one. The new "formula" engine was a direct bolt in. Just had to transfer the old drain pipe to the new engine. One of my boys helped me. I'm afraid we got his school shirt a bit dirty. The only thing that wasn't compatible was the new oil tube and dipstick. This is a problem because when the stock fuel tank is installed, the new dipstick is too high and sits directly under the tank. I first tried bending the tube, trying to get out from under the tank. That didn't work, so I looked round and found that the dipstick tube just screwed out. Then I found that the dipstick from the old HM 80 would screw right in without using an extention tube. I used my dremel tool to shorten the dipstick, then used the original dipstick to transfer the markings to the newly modified dipstick.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the dipstick issue, everything else went well. The tank that came with the new engine has been set aside for a future project, the original tank fits neatly above the new engine and the engine profile is the same. I'll probably install the original muffler on the new engine to keep the exhaust in the same place. I still need to hook up the choke cable and there may be an issue with the air cleaner clearance to the original grill cut-out. I took it out for a test drive and cut some grass along the front lawn. The tight turning radius is astonishing. This old girl should be good to go for a while now.

Attachments

Reactions: JDBrian

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
You can probably bolt the Massey 8s factory muffler on the new engine and also the original air cleaner assembly instead of the oval one, that way it fits the cutout in the grill.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Glad you got this sorted out. I remember your disapointment when it through the rod.
Other than the odd minor issue here and there, that rig should cut grass for a long time.
I've got an 8 that will need repower soon. Your solutions sure sound like the way to go.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should mention a couple of things about this engine. Even though it is listed as a Formula LH358XA-159538, when I opened the box the engine manual displayed "HM80-HM100" on the front cover. It is electric start with recoil backup, so I have preserved the electric start capacity of the mower, as well as a charging circuit, two things I was reluctant to give up with a new engine. Also, the original engine was rated as 8 hp and this one is a 10. I have to say, the extra power was noticible at the deck, the engine just powered right through the grass yesterday, we'll see how this goes over the next few days. Small engine warehouse does NOT list this engine as a HM replacement, although they are willing to admit that it "might" work.

More than likely, this will be a tractor I will let my older boys use. They don't have the leg length or strength to operate the 12G clutch. I think I will try to add some sort of safety device so they can't get out of the seat with the tractor running. Those blades running underfoot worry me.

Howard

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question: One of the rubber mounts holding the engine pan to the frame was badly deteriorated, and long term should be replace. Anybody know a way to replace those bushings? I'm thinking say fender washers and some sort of rubber donut, just not sure where to find a rubber donut.

Howard

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished up with more of the details of installation. The old muffler bolted right on the new engine, and the old air filter fit right on the new carburettor. I had to improvise the choke cable clamp. The hood went back on today and I replaced the old worn out seat as well. The kids clamored to drive it, so I let them run it around the yard for a while. I took it back and started running the mower deck over some unkempt fescue. I'll have to adjust the deck as it really scalped the turf if left to its own devices.

Attachments

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Nice that it's all fitting together.
Those dampers are available at Jacks.
2pcs of 532016M1 $17 and change each.
rear one is 534743M1 $30

You might want to call a massey dealer to see what they want.
Also, I've seen here, where guys have gone to a JD dealer to find the identical mounts for other applications, for much
less $

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered two mounts for the front, and an idler pulley for the clutch. Now the deck needs a little welding where there are some cracks. I've added some larger guide rollers to raise the deck up to about 3.5 inches at max extension, but need to get some cracks welded where the guide arms attach.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From Jacks.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Looks good. I have seen those engines and wondered if they were a direct HM80 replacement. It looks like a pretty painless re power.

·
87 Posts
looks like the repower went pretty easey and is a really clean looking job

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hard to believe it has been 18 months since the repower. Thought I'd post a bit of video and some pictures of me cutting the grass. Our grass has done VERY well this year with plentiful rain and cooler temperatures. The past 4 or 5 years have not been kind to my lawn due to dry and hot summers, more the dry than the hot. One year was so bad I joked that even the weeds gave up! Anyway, here is the good stuff!

Wheel Tire Riding mower Lawn mower Plant Lawn mower Plant Riding mower Tire Wheel

Footwear Tire Wheel Riding mower Plant Plant Wheel Tire Riding mower Lawn mower

Attachments

Reactions: MH81

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A little footnote here. This tractor is small and at 6 ft 2in and 240 lbs, I'm not. I intended for my kids to drive it for the most part. However, earlier this year I had both boys cutting grass and noticed something was wrong with the way the hood was sitting on the tractor. When I looked at it, I found the plastic dash was broken. Neither boy admits to having caused the damage, yet the hood was very clearly sitting cock-eyed when I looked at it. Not only am I a bit upset that they've damaged something that is not easily replaced, it also speaks to the fact they aren't paying much attention. Add that to the whining when I ask them to cut the grass with the tractor, and I decided that they don't get the privilege of cutting the grass. I've also told them to be careful, as I will remember these things when they start wanting to drive the car in a few years! For now, they can do the trimming with the weed-eater (and if they bust that, I've got hand shears for 'em).

Reactions: MH81

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Wow, really knocks the grass back, doesn't it?

Just a word of caution, those chutes will positively LAUNCH an unseen projectile and I found myself squinting while watching that video. Might mention it to the boys to treat it like a weapon and watch where it's pointed.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That repower looks like a good way to go.Just curious I have one that repower will be in the future,How much did that engine cost when you bought it?
It was in the neighborhood of $450.00 when I bought it.

Reactions: ckjakline
1 - 20 of 21 Posts