Garden Tractor Forums banner

Mf Bushings Highway Robbery

850 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  HowardsMF155 
#1 ·
Getting MF 14 ready for snow blowing duty did regular maintence,etc well that blower is heavy so lets check bearings in wheels not so good. Called local dealer $21.00 each plus 13% tax bushings in axle a little sloppy $28.00 plus tax said ok. Got back home said to myself hell thats expensive,called local bearing place priced same parts $8.95 for wheel bearings 65 cents for bushings each just about fell over! Got stuff from dealer today waiting until tomorrow for stuff from bearing dealer will compare,but i think i learned a good lesson have to shop around took stuff from MF dealer but not going to get me like that again

See less See more
#2 ·
$21 each for wheel bearings? Wow, last ones I bought were like $14 and I thought that was high.

I'm upgrading the front axle on my Case 444 to use 3/4" tapered roller bearings and 4 bolt hubs. Should last a bit longer than the OE ball bearings. I'll see how it turns out on this machine before I commit to it on my 14. Plus my 14 was "restored" to as new anyway, not sure if I'd want to deviate from that.

#3 ·
that is prety expensive. That's an insane differance in price between the two

#4 ·
Local bearing shops and NAPA have saved me lots of money over the years. Bearings, filters, hoses and tuneup supplies for my heavy equipment, are usually a quarter of the price as the dealer. Small engine and tractor parts are also less expensive. Places like Bailey Sales and The Surplus Center are online and often have great treasures if you know what you're looking for.

#6 ·
The ones for the fronts on the JD314/317 (1"ID flanged Ball bearings) are something like 16$ ea from JD and from bearing houses they are almost the same. The Stens substitute is almost the same price as well. They are not a common bearing with the flange and I guess that's what makes them expensive.

#7 ·
Got the bushing for the front axle today the 65 cent ones sure look the same as the. $28.00 ones Purchased 20 will have enough to do the other Mf,s live and learn. Will finish today only use mf 14 as a backup for commercial 12 walk behind Gravley for snowblowing. Had new rings installed in Kohler. That is an awesome machine

#8 ·
Nova, I'm sorry to hear you got skinned so bad on the bearings, I've advised several people to try a local bearing store for generic parts like that. I want my local Massey dealer to stay in business, but I want to keep some money for other purchases too.
Nice to see you have a Gravely commercial 12. Those things ARE awesome, especially snowblowing. Which blower do you have? I'll never need one here in NC, but would sure like to run one some day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.