Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am too tired to be excited at the moment as I have just arrived home from a little trip into Germany. This is a deal I have been working on for a while with a friend of mine in Germany doing a lot of the translating for me.

I set off on a 300 mile drive to Newcastle to catch a ferry to Amsterdam which was supposed to take 15 hours but in the end it was an 18 hour crossing.

Water Cloud Boat Sky Watercraft

Then it was a 400 mile drive to our first nights accommodation.

The next day was a 150 mile drive to collect the prize, then 150 miles back to the same accommodation

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

We then took a few days to travel back visiting a few places on the way back - this was due to a technicality where I had to justify the trip as a family holiday to my wife and son :D

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Ferry back also took 18 hours

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Tire Boat Vehicle Sky

In total it was 1800 miles a lot of fuel and not a lot of sleep.

There was also an old couple in a small village that got a scare when I drove around a roundabout the wrong way when my autopilot kicked in and I started driving on the left, oops :wallbanging:

I will post more pics of the trailer once I get it unloaded

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sounds like quite an adventure you had.

Glad you found the trailer and picked it up.

Reactions: Gav694

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Nice trailer, really nice actually. It sounds like a nice trip. It looks like you had that VW Tiguan loaded pretty heavy.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Bravo. You got it!!!!! :dancingbanana:

Glad you had a good trip. I hope it's(trailer) all you expected.

It's nice that you got to make a family event out of it.

Did you stop, and pick up that PTO adaptor, so we can see

some action video soon?

What size are the tires on it?

·
Super Moderator
54,377 Posts
That's great, Gav! Neat trailer, now Will is going to have to ship one over here!

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
AWESOME Gav! You are now the only person I know that owns a trailer like that, and that trailer looks great! Loks like the pto adapter is in back of the trailer as well! Action video soon I hope!

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Wow, a real honest to goodness ELF Wagon. (I know it's a gutbrod)

I bet Will will have trouble sleeping even knowing one exists.

Just so you know, there will need to be a few measurements taken and a gear ratio to be found in your near future :D
:bigrofl:

Actually, I knew about this over a month ago. You're right. I haven't been

sleeping. Check my log in times.

Hey John, what size are the bolts in the side panel hinges? :bounce: :bounce:

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
:bigrofl:

Actually, I knew about this over a month ago. You're right. I haven't been

sleeping. Check my log in times.

Hey John, what size are the bolts in the side panel hinges? :bounce: :bounce:
Metric, Will, clearly metric.

So, you already got a spare truck axle ready to make your own?

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
Looks neat but I guess I'm dumb but what is it used for ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, what a trip. Glad you had a good time. Did you get 2 of them so you can ship one to Will??
I only bought the one, that's all the bank manager would allow :D but I have seen another advertised online, time to dust off the check book Will

How do they get the trailer drive speed to match the tractor's drive speed while running off the PTO? Does it have it's own transmission too?
The tractor has the option of engine speed PTO or Land drive PTO, so in Land drive one revolution of the tractor wheel will drive one revolution of the trailer wheel

Nice trailer, really nice actually. It sounds like a nice trip. It looks like you had that VW Tiguan loaded pretty heavy.
Its amazing how much stuff you need when you have a 2 year old with you, the Gutbrod trailer is not that heavy, about 280 kg I think but my road trailer is about 750 kg empty

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bravo. You got it!!!!! :dancingbanana:

Glad you had a good trip. I hope it's(trailer) all you expected.

It's nice that you got to make a family event out of it.

Did you stop, and pick up that PTO adaptor, so we can see

some action video soon?

What size are the tires on it?
Didn't have time to stop for the PTO adapter, had to get back in time for work :(

The tyres are 7-12 that are on which are no use which is a shame as they are in real good condition, I need to swap them for 6-12's to match the tractor so they turn at the same speed.

AWESOME Gav! You are now the only person I know that owns a trailer like that, and that trailer looks great! Loks like the pto adapter is in back of the trailer as well! Action video soon I hope!
PTO powered Video will be a little while olcowhand until I can source some tyres, but I will try to get some un-powered shots

Looks neat but I guess I'm dumb but what is it used for ?
It gives the Elf 4 wheel drive and allows you to carry more weight in the trailer as you are not actually pulling it, it follows you.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

John

Attachments

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
"The tyres are 7-12 that are on which are no use which is a shame as they are in real good condition, I need to swap them for 6-12's to match the tractor so they turn at the same speed."

I have 7-12 on my Elf. See, it just makes so much more sense to send that trailer

over here for a quick (4-5 year) restoration. :smilewink:

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
How do they get the trailer drive speed to match the tractor's drive speed while running off the PTO? Does it have it's own transmission too?
As John said, you can select ground or engine speed for the tractor pto output. The trailer has differential/reduction to match the tractor.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Plant Automotive tire Font Parallel Rectangle Art Event

This past winter I started investigating the idea of building a trailer. The axle, was

the starting point.

Daniel (Olcowhand) and I spent many hours, back and forth, trying to figure out how to

come up with some sort of Diff with matching reduction. He's really smart on that stuff.

The output reduction on the tractor PTO is 20:1. Small diffs, like out of a golf cart, are

about 3.5:1 (if I recall). That's a lot to make up using sprockets and chain, so we

entertained the idea of an inline reduction unit.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wood Automotive lighting Gas Cylinder Tin Metal

It was doable, with a bunch of work and fitting. The other stumbling block was

to find a matching splined shaft for the female splined tractor PTO output.

And then building that adaptor/shaft. Just by crap luck, I discovered that

a 1976 Evinrude 90ish HP outboard (if I recall) prop shaft, used the same

spline. I called my mechanic, who just so happened to be cleaning out his shed

and taking stuff to the scrap yard. Within half an hour I had one.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Wheel Wood Tool Floor Flooring Gas

Anyway, by the time Dan and I had come up with a reasonable game plan, I

realized that my winter GT play time was coming to an end, so we shelved

the project. Some day I want to tackle it again. I promised Dan a hay ride

in it when it's done. :smilewink:

I think it's awesome that John has found this trailer, and made the trip

to get it. I only wish it where closer. It'd be so much easier to steal. :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 82 Posts