Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
4,482 Posts
The age old question.

Has anybody found a manufacturer that would make the 41 tooth 8mm curviliniar cog pulley. I am in the proccess of looking now. Just wondering if any body may have done this already?

I can find 40 tooth pulleys at quit a few places but I an not sure the OEM belt will work. It may be to long. I am trying to find the combination that will still allow us to use any of our serviceable OEM parts so we would only have to buy the parts we need. I have a few inquires in for pricing for a 41 tooth with the 9 spline on a 25mm shaft.

I quess if someone rebuilt a deck they would go with all new pulleys and belts as they would wear much better by being matched. Then a person could go with the standard 40 cog pulley and a shorter belt. Then ebay any of the servicable parts left over.

I did just order a new double wide pulley so I can get some tooth dimensions and possibly make them myself. I just recently aquired access to a mill and a lathe. Now I guess need to become a machinist.

If I made them or had them manufactured I feel there would be quite a demand for them. The double pulley costs $170.00.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: ENafziger

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
You are right, it is an age old question. Not sure if we will find an answer, but you would think there has got to be a pulley out there somewhere we could use.

There is a sticky how one guy modded his deck to be able to use standard V bulleys and not have to worry about timing, but it looked like major fabrication.

Only other source is finding used ones

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've looked at this a little, but not extensively yet as my pulleys are still hanging in there. Some of the things I've looked at:

These are pretty reasonable, but would need an adapter made for the center shaft.

http://www.youngsindustrial.com/View/P40-8M-20-SH-HTD-Sprocket

These people may be willing to run a batch of custom pulleys like we need. The list a re-bore alteration at $40. Maybe if they did a run of 100 of them or so, the price would come down significantly.

http://www.maurey.com/pdfs/HPD_SPKT_8M_PITCH_2004.pdf

--Eric

Reactions: ducky

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
Ducky, I have a brand new set of pulleys if you or anybody needs them to use for a pattern.....if a guy could make some out of cast steel they would last alot longer! Luke

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ducky, I have a brand new set of pulleys if you or anybody needs them to use for a pattern.....if a guy could make some out of cast steel they would last alot longer! Luke
If you have access to a 3D scanner, it would be great to get a CAD model of these before they are used. I've had thoughts of getting a 3D printer for making parts like this.

--Eric

·
141 Posts
I posted on a car forum for the machining in aluminum. I can't find the thread where he is requesting ideas for small run parts. I'll let you know when I hear back from him. SAVE one of those brand new ones for him!

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
I have no idea where I'd find someone with a 3D scanner around here!? I have no plan on using these pulleys since I converted a ingersoll deck to fit my MF 1655.
Pianotuner.......let me know if that guy needs them!

Luke

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I have no idea where I'd find someone with a 3D scanner around here!? I have no plan on using these pulleys since I converted a ingersoll deck to fit my MF 1655.
Pianotuner.......let me know if that guy needs them!

Luke
Pictures of that would be cool to see. Maybe more of us that need to find other brand parts and modify to work on our tractors.

·
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all that got back.

I like the Scanner idea. Could a 3D scanner make them out of a material that would stand up?

It rained here so had to stutdown poo hauling. I was able to get down to my bearing supplier and show him what I had in mind. He got back to me and was able to find a machine shop that can make the pulley stock in 2 foot lengths of a tough plastic that they recommend for this application at a resonable price. These are 41 tooth so they will work with all exsisting parts. I have 3 pieces on order and looking into getting the spline brouched into them and locating the guides for the side of the pulleys.

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
TAHOE,
When I get a chance I'll take and post some pictures of my modified RM60 ingersoll deck to MF 1655 for ya to check out......it's going on two years of mowing and so far has worked great!

Luke

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
Would someone post what this deck looks like aith the timimg pulleys on it , I've been reading this thread since it was started but am having a hard time imagining what it looks like , Thanks Al

Reactions: IamSherwood

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Guys, I was looking through an industrial mag we get here at work, this company was advertising in the back. If someone wants to do some research, this maybe a possible company to get these deck parts from. Not sure if they carry belts that would work, but the pulleys maybe promising. Who knows, send them some pulleys and belts, they maybe able to make something.

http://www.brecoflex.com/index.php?CATID=1

·
86 Posts
unless they are unique, you should just neet to know the pitch, belt width, bore and #of teeth and should be able to order standard timing belt pullies. Has anyone checked McMaster Carr, Reid tool supply or Carr Lane?

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
You can find the pulleys, the problem is getting the spline right in the center. I have been doing some research on these for a good while. I can get them made, but they are too expensive to use or sell.

Reactions: ducky

·
86 Posts
I see. I will be heading down this road this winter as I just picked up a 1650 and plan on going through the deck this winter.

In the past I have "cheated" on some splines several ways. I have wire burned the female spline, that got a bit expensive. Or we had a broach made by the same method, again that was expensive. The cheap way was to make a broach out of an old shaft, that worked ok in soft material. Not perfect but cheaper than having a run at the local gear company.

Any thought about reproducing or modifying the shaft to match up with an available pully?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts