Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
202 Posts
I ended up finding a MF10 about half a mile from my house and bought it. It has no engine and I really didn't want to go get it with my only trailer (a 27 ft lowboy gooseneck car hauler).

I knew any one of the MF10-12 tractors I have here would pull it home down the gravel road but there is one little problem, that requires an extra helper to steer and brake the machine being towed with a chain.

So, I invented a tow bar that hooks on the bottom of and bolts to the existing holes in the front plate of the towed tractor. Its basicly a non intrusive implement that allows you to tow any MF10-12 utilizing your lift hitch as a wrecker, allowing you to tow the dead machines back to the shop. It stresses the frame in a way I believe will not bend or tweak the front plate basically converting the dead machine into a 2 wheel trailer.

·
Super Moderator
54,024 Posts
Got pics of this critter? Here's what I came up with:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:25021]

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
A tow truck for Masseys!

Sounds like something you could make a spare of and try to get rid of in the classifieds.

Ben W.

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Why not, the PO used a Ford pickup to drag my MF10 to the mower shop.

·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to hitch up the wagon and head out to where the other tractor is... Pull the other MF10 on the tow bar with the wagon full of 2 old tecumseh engines and the mower deck home behind me.

The tow bar lifts the front axle high enough that the tires don't skid in sharp turns and the steering tries to follow the lead tractor somewhat. It adds alot of downforce on the rear tires to increase available traction as well.

·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the design of that as a universal solution. I might add some safety chains or straps to keep the front axle from hopping off the tow bar. But, again very nice work.

Got pics of this critter? Here's what I came up with:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts