Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
First time here. I just picked up a early 67 MF10. It's complete but needs seat and hasn't run in a very long time. So I'm restoring it as a project for the winter. My question is that it doesn't have a key switch. Only a flip switch and starter push button. It looks original by the wiring and holes. Did it actually come this way? I figure I did alright for $35. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Welcome to GTTALK the MF BOY'S WILL BE ALONG SHORTLY TO HELP YOU ENJOY THE SITE

·
Super Moderator
54,377 Posts
:wave: Welcome to the forum! Give the folks a bit to see this! I'm sure they will answer your question.

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Sounds like you did real well. Check out our Manuals Section for three free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Welcome to GTtalk,You got a great deal on that Massey.Theres only one problem.There aren't any pictures of it.So lets see it.If it is a 67 then it would have a starter generator on it,and also points.I believe that one used a 3 prong key switch.I'll have to double check mine.They may still be avail through agco.As MH81 stated above you want to be positive you get the correct switch.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Ryan's 66 has a key switch like all the other ones. It's a Massey shaped key, so I'm pretty sure it's original.

I would be stunned if the switch was still available from MF, but the one for a 60's-70's Sears suburban with Tecumseh engine will work in its place.

Just make sure it is marked M instead of I on the terminal.

·
Bush Hog Addict
3,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes....$35 was a great deal. :thumbs: You are in good hands here. We have several MF experts on the site and they know their stuff for sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a used one for sale. It looks like a three terminal and then a fourth one look like a ground. Is this correct?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes mine is like the picture MH81 posted. I was able to get another spare key for mine from John Deere, however I doubt that the Deere ignition switch the key fits in would be correct. In the John Deere world that key fits an old 510 tractor ( if I remember correctly)

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
I found a used one for sale. It looks like a three terminal and then a fourth one look like a ground. Is this correct?
Just be absolutely sure the wire that connects to the ignition system ( CDI) never has power on it BEFORE you connect it to the CDI.

When the key is off, that terminal should short to ground, not have power when on. BIG Difference.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Yes mine is like the picture MH81 posted. I was able to get another spare key for mine from John Deere, however I doubt that the Deere ignition switch the key fits in would be correct. In the John Deere world that key fits an old 510 tractor ( if I remember correctly)
For some odd reason, I have run into this several times. I've seen those ignition switches on several JD's and always wondered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I looked at it again and it's not right. It has four wires and according to the wiring diagram on here, it should only have three terminals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts