Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
30 Posts
Since I enjoy looking at the other restoration posts here I thought I would show everyone my diesel conversion on my Hydro with the winter setup.

This diesel is equipped with the cold weather package and has both a glow plug and oiling screw plug (which I haven't used yet) which is definitely needed for Canadian winters. I had it out earlier this morning and it was minus 22 with the wind chill. Started right up with big 875CCA battery and ran flawlessly!

I used an aftermarket pulley sized between the Hydro and accessory pulley and a 1" bushing instead of trying to fabricate an adaptor sleeve to make the stock pulley fit the smaller dimension 1" shaft. It shouldn't make too much of a difference other than the overall top speed may see a slight decrease and the implements may run slighter faster.

Attachments

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
JTS,

Thats a nice looking repower you did there !!

Brian

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Looks like you got yourself a nice diesel re-powered tractor there, speeding up the PTO a bit for the attachments is nice one of my MF12 Honda clones had that, the mower works better and I'd say you snow blower throws further.
I have a buddy north of Nappenee who is into MF12Hydras, small world sometimes.
Good stuff.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rickski said:
Nice refit. What are the specifics on the motor?
It's a 418cc that is actually a 10.5hp. It's rated at 3600 RPM. Tons of torque and loves to spew out black smoke under heavy load. The neighbours definitely know it's a diesel !!!

·
30 Posts
DH1 said:
Looks like you got yourself a nice diesel re-powered tractor there, speeding up the PTO a bit for the attachments is nice one of my MF12 Honda clones had that, the mower works better and I'd say you snow blower throws further.
I have a buddy north of Nappenee who is into MF12Hydras, small world sometimes.
Good stuff.
Thanks Doug,

I've seen a couple of your builds and they're pretty nice. I think it was yours that was converted to an electric? Very cool! Napanee is about a half hour from me. Good to hear there are some MF fans in the area.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
I sure do like diesel re-powers.Nice job.

·
Live long and prosper
6,784 Posts
That's a great looking repower. Nice job.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
olcowhand said:
JTS.....do you have pics of when you did this diesel conversion? If so, would you please start a thread on it in the Diesel Garden Tractors, Repower and Conversion Forum

If you don't have pics of the process, I could move this thread to the above forum....with your permission of course!
Olcowhand, I've thought about starting a thread but just didn't get around to it! I have lots of pics of mine before, during, and after and will start a thread for those interested in doing a similar repower. Thanks for the push!!

·
202 Posts
I like how you were able to expand the battery tray for a car battery. Your engine mounted fuel tank provided an advantage there.

One thing is for sure, hydra machines are much easier for conversions than variable speed machines.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MF10 DIESEL said:
I like how you were able to expand the battery tray for a car battery. Your engine mounted fuel tank provided an advantage there.

One thing is for sure, hydra machines are much easier for conversions than variable speed machines.
MF10 Diesel, I went and had a look at a pic of your setup and didn't realize it was that tight under the hood in all directions with your diesel. Nice to see another version of a diesel swap. Interesting!

·
202 Posts
JTS BRAZEAU said:
MF10 Diesel, I went and had a look at a pic of your setup and didn't realize it was that tight under the hood in all directions with your diesel. Nice to see another version of a diesel swap. Interesting!
Yes, very very compact indeed. It will get even tighter with the new tower, the battery tray will be very close to the starter solenoid but a group 51 battery will fit. Hopefully, whenever I get around to repainting it, it will look like it came with the diesel.

I'm not sure, but I think I ran across some video of your tractor running on youtube some time ago?

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MF10 DIESEL said:
Yes, very very compact indeed. It will get even tighter with the new tower, the battery tray will be very close to the starter solenoid but a group 51 battery will fit. Hopefully, whenever I get around to repainting it, it will look like it came with the diesel.

I'm not sure, but I think I ran across some video of your tractor running on youtube some time ago?
The video is mine and I put it up early on in the resto/conversion just after I got it up and running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts