Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While re-arranging some of my garden tractor collection, I decided to give my MF12 a bath with a pressure washer. It came to me pretty rough and I stored it before cleaning it up. See the before and after pictures. Under the moss, slime, and dirt there is actually a red tractor. Yes, that is actually moss growing on the seat foam pad.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MH81 said:
The title of this thread actually made me snort.

It went from dull to " Darn!" with a good scrubbing. I'm sure she thanks you.
Yes, it has potential! Maybe with some rubbing compound it will even get better?

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Mark, are you planning a restoration on the 12? It almost looks like the engine block is white!

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IamSherwood said:
Such a nice straight machine. She needs a little luvin Mark. How about some kind
of a seat cover. At least cover up the flesh wound.
Thank you, I totally agree with you. She could use a bit of TLC. I think I will remove the mossy foam seat as it may cause the seat pan to rust.

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
JDBrian said:
Mark, are you planning a restoration on the 12? It almost looks like the engine block is white!
I would like to restore it, along with my other tractors. I need to clean up the shop and get cracking again.

You are right, there is white paint on the engine block. I don't know why this is? Maybe someone had the engine out at some point and painted it?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,407 Posts
You are right, there is white paint on the engine block. I don't know why this is? Maybe domineering had the engine out at some point and painted it?
Likely not the original engine. If the engine's # begins with "143", then it's off some kind of Sears power equipment. Sears had a lot of white TEC engines. If the engine flywheel shroud was originally silver, then they may have used the original MF engine tin on a Sears block, so the numbers won't be Sear's #'s. Same engines anyway.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
It's good to hear Mark, that you may bring it back to it's original glory.
I wish I could be part of it. I love working on those ole girls.
Please start a threadof your resto. Oh yeah, we like pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mark, I can't tell from the pictures, is that a gear or Hydro MF12? I'm guessing from the 2x4 chock that your parking break doesn't work either! I just was just reading in the 12 Hydro manual how to adjust that.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Mark, I can't tell from the pictures, is that a gear or Hydro MF12? I'm guessing from the 2x4 chock that your parking break doesn't work either! I just was just reading in the 12 Hydro manual how to adjust that.
His is a gear drive. You can tell by the little lever (variator) on the RHS of the dash tower. Your Hydro has a bigger lever there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
His is a gear drive. You can tell by the little lever (variator) on the RHS of the dash tower. Your Hydro has a bigger lever there.
Ah, makes sense. I just bought mine today from a neighbor and I love it already! I'll take pictures tomorrow. Spent the afternoon lubing and still missed a few grease fittings. Now I just need a little trailer for it so I can get my firewood out of the woods.

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, makes sense. I just bought mine today from a neighbor and I love it already! I'll take pictures tomorrow. Spent the afternoon lubing and still missed a few grease fittings. Now I just need a little trailer for it so I can get my firewood out of the woods.
Congratulations on your new MF12, they are great solid machines!

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As the other's said, it is a gear drive with Variator lever. Also, I didn't even try the brake, I just threw a piece of wood under the back tires to keep it from rolling backwards.

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
It's good to hear Mark, that you may bring it back to it's original glory.
I wish I could be part of it. I love working on those ole girls.
Please start a threadof your resto. Oh yeah, we like pictures.
Hi Will,

Thank you for your encouragement on getting the restoration going. I have seen the pictures and restoration that you have done and am very impressed and inspired. I have a daylight basement shop that currently has the Case 446 in. I worked on it this winter, but time to clean up the shop and get going again with the Case and other tractors such as the MF12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts