Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
Hello again. I am having some issues with the Vari-Drive pully. I mowed 6 or 7 times last summer with it and I was on my second cutting this spring when the outer flange unscrewed. I took the Vari-Drive off reinstalled the outer pully half, lubed it per owners manual instructions and tried to finish mowing. It lasted less than 5 minutes and it happened again. My owners manual only covers how to remove it for lubrication and the manual implies any futher service to the Vari-Drive pully requires dealer service.In other words there is nothing in my owners manual that covers assembly and dissassembly of the pully itself.

Can anyone help? I did run a search first but came up with no results.

Thanks in advance---DAC

Attachments

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dac?? That pic you posted? That's how you found it when you removed the shroud?
Pretty much except that outer pully section fell on to the cutting deck when I removed the cover.

Later---DAC

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
I never had one of those assemblies apart, AGRO shows both outer flange pulleys, #45 having the same part #, so they would both be the same.
I don't know how they tightened it up at the factory, #45 on #42, but somehow there has to be a way to tighten them, as was said before try some Lock-tite

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Shouldn't that retainer washer (item 50, from agco) hold the outer sheave to the shaft, and
the left hand thread screw, holds the retainer washer to the shaft.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Description of #50 is,"retainer outer sheave to shaft".

That's the description given if you look at the MF12G on agco.

I'm thinking that #50 is too small OD, and not doing it's job.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
I have a spare one of those assembly's and the only way I can see to tighten it up real tight is to put 1 outer flange pulley in a vise and a big pipe wrench on the other.
The washer looks to me like it holds on the assembly, the needle bearing, seal and the hub, #42???
The outer flanges just need to be real tight on the hub.

·
Tractorholic
492 Posts
I had the same problem when I took mine apart. I got a new countersunk star washer at the hardware store then I put the pulley in a vise and put just a couple drops of BLUE, not red or green Loctite on the pulley threads and used a big pipe wrench on it to tighten it up. Make sure you get the pulleys on right one of them has a different size shoulder on it. I did not put Loctite on the left hand screw as it can be hard enough to get out. The star washer holds it just fine. I have not had any problem since I did this.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Description of #50 is,"retainer outer sheave to shaft".

That's the description given if you look at the MF12G on agco.

I'm thinking that #50 is too small OD, and not doing it's job.
On second thought, this makes absolutely no sense at all. Disregard this.
If it where done this way, it would be metal wearing on metal. All wrong.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On second thought, this makes absolutely no sense at all. Disregard this.
If it where done this way, it would be metal wearing on metal. All wrong.
That's OK man! I appreciate everyone taking a stab at helping on this matter!
I will try to get it assembled again tomorrow at work during lunchbreak!

Later---DAC

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I would post some dissassembled pics just in case anyone wants to see it before I assemble it tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,355 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Never saw one before.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
I was following this, has getting a bigger vise helped?

Reactions: MFDAC

·
1,771 Posts
I was following this, has getting a bigger vise helped?
Hello Howard, thanks for asking! Coincidentally I didn't get to work it real hard until today when it got over 3 hours of steady operation.

My yard is only an acre but there are a lot of obstacles so I am always shifting and using the Vari-Drive. It worked flawlessly the entire time! I was concerned that once it got hot that it might unscrew again.

The bigger vice wasn't as much of an issue as a pipe wrench big enough to grab that shoulder on the flange. I applied the Loctite and tightened it up. It was a bummer to put bite marks into a pristine Vari-Drive hub but when mowing can be this much fun it sure is worth it!

Thanks everyone!---DAC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts