Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent MF12 purchase was bought with a known problem. Previous owner told me that when the engine gets hot it shuts off. He had this probem years ago and replaced something. Had something to do with the ignition, well today it already died on me and I would like to figure it out. Any ideas guys? I did check for spark, and it was pretty weak. I had to close the plug gap to get a weak spark.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
They can do that, mine did the exact same thing. At this point, the Chrysler Ignition Conversion (Ed Stoller Conversion) is the way to go. I have done two of them, and it's not all that hard with basic wiring knowledge. It will cost close to the cost of a used coil if done "all out", but the used coul may fail in a week!

Here is the one I am working on: http://gardentractortalk.com/f2-mas.../couple-new-photos-ssi-conversion-hydro-6006/

If you have any questions, I would be glad to help!

·
129 Posts
bread320i said:
Will the setup from Overnight-Solutions work on this engine?
That depends on how long you want to wait. Overnight Solutions have just come up with a replacement for the SSI unit with all the components separately mounted on a small board that fits exactly where the old aluminium cased SSI unit sits above the flywheel. (That makes it easy to replace whichever part might fail in the future). Problem is they are not available quite yet, but there is a waiting list that you can join..... As long as it is this that is your problem, not the stator, then Overnight Solutions seem to have an elegant solution.

George.

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
MFGray said:
That depends on how long you want to wait. Overnight Solutions have just come up with a replacement for the SSI unit with all the components separately mounted on a small board that fits exactly where the old aluminium cased SSI unit sits above the flywheel. (That makes it easy to replace whichever part might fail in the future). Problem is they are not available quite yet, but there is a waiting list that you can join..... As long as it is this that is your problem, not the stator, then Overnight Solutions seem to have an elegant solution.

George.
That is cool, but seems like it might be pricey?

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I swaped the ignition unit from a Sears tractor I have, and I got the tractor to run again. But now it runs like the timing is off? I did gap the Ignition unit and flywheel and Ive played with the carb and nothing changes. So what should I be looking for now?

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both units have pins in the flywheel. The Sears Suburban 12 has a delco starter generator, and the Massey has a alternator. The coil behind the flywheel is different, but the ignition unit is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the height of the pins, and they were right. The Ignitions units are the same and are also mounted identical. I gaped the unit to .008 It starts up great and idles fine, but once you bring up the rpm's it seems to run rough.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MH81 said:
Sounds like the front pin isn't doing it's job? Anyone else?

From what I understand, the front pin is shorter so it won't trigger until the engine is running. This advances the engine 17 degrees.

I will try to look into this in my manual tonight. Gotta work today.
You are right. the Tall pin is for start up, and after a certain rpm the shorter pin takes over and advances the timing. This was my thought but was thinking it could still be the Ignition unit.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I contacted Ed Stoller, and he suggested using a timing light to see if the SSI is switching pins after start up. Im going to try this tonight or tomorrow

1 - 20 of 25 Posts