Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both have almost the same flexibility , as you can see in the picture . My concern is that the brake drum diameter + brake band thickness is bigger than the interior diameter of the brake shoe , if you see what I mean .

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I measured mine from a 1968 MF12 H & I'm around 3.6 - 3.9 so I would go with the 4 as well. According to mine I have a lot of room for adjustment to keep the band from being too tight on the brake drum. Hope this helps.

Reactions: cheluIS

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally I changed the brake band .

The brake band was worn-out unevenly .
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Auto part Machine

With a chisel remove the old brake band (or what's left of it) .

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Metal Automotive wheel system Helmet Wood Gas Automotive tire Personal protective equipment

Remove the remains with a mini drill or by hand with sandpaper .

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Don't forget the goggles and mask . The dust from the old band I'm pretty sure has asbestos , is very toxic .Sorry for the picture .Hope you don't have a nightmare

Window Gas Artisan Engineering Machine

Roughen the surface for bond strenght .Some lines with the tip of the chisel will do the work.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood

Cut the necessary lenght of brake band .

Automotive tire Bicycle part Cart Tool Rim

Put some masking tape over the brake drum to avoid bonding the band with the drum in case of adhesive leakage .

Gas Machine Circle Automotive wheel system Wood .

Prepare for operation . After mixing the 2 components you have aprox. 6 min. to put the brake band and the whole ensemble in place . Don't detach the brake rod . You need to put the whole ensemble in place to draw together the band and the shoe till glued .

Motor vehicle Tire Gas Bicycle accessory Auto part

Put the brake back in position and put the varidrive lever in PARK .

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Bumper Alloy wheel

Leave for 24 hours for bonding .

Let's hope that will last . I'll keep you informed after few runs (hope the tractor will stop with it's brakes not in a fence or something :hitting_self_roller: )

Keep in touch .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Looks great...nice tutorial too.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Thanks for walking us through that.

Handy info to have around.

Do you use any solvent to clean the metal, before

applying the adhesive?

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
With the way the variable clutch works, just slowly depressing the clutch will slow the tractor down quite a bit, even if your brakes aren't working quite right.

·
Tractorholic
1,182 Posts
Anybody knows the thickness of the brake band ? I found 2 types : 30 x 4 mm (1.18 x 0.157 inch) and 30 x 3 mm (1.18 x 0.118 inch) . I want to replace the band at the brake shoe and I don't know what thickness to use . I'm gonna to glue the band with Loctite 3430 - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5r0PrZO83xM

attachicon.gif
WP_20131015_001.jpg
Where did you find the band material at.I think it would be nice to have it around for repairs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts