Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With spring here and warmer temps I decided last Saturday it was time to take the MF8 w/snow-blower out of the garage and put the MF12 G I purchased a few months ago. After doing a MF14 and MF8 without enough pictures, this time I have and plan on taking more pictures going thru the restoration process. Here is what the 12 looked like just put in the garage Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle the hood and engine were already taken out. The hood has some damage where the headlights go in, Wood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Machine I had to remove the spot welds to straighten up the metal and then re-weld it back together. Wood Gas Motor vehicle Machine Auto part Last week was spent getting it stripped down to the frame. Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior . Yesterday I finally got the steering wheel off to get the dash tower off the frame. The steering box was a mess when I opened it up. Gas Wood Metal Artifact Auto part , I took it apart cleaned it all up and put it back together Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal Wood . Time was spent yesterday sand blasting the brackets that bolt on along with dash tower and getting them primed. Wood Gas Electrical wiring Cable Wire . Wood Gas Motor vehicle Machine Auto part The frame I wire brushed to clean it up the best I can, the plan for the frame it to get grey colored KBS rust treatment brush on and then before it sets up spray the frame with Massey grey. Wood Building Event Natural material Lumber

Attachments

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
It looks like it's coming along well. It's great to tear everything down and get it back in shape. I'm spending time in the shed today myself, but it's still chilly out. The shed will get heat for next winter since I hate being stuck in the house!

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
Looks like a good project. Are you rebuilding the engine too?

DAC

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
You have got a great start on your project. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks for recording the restore with photos!! :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
54,348 Posts
You've gotten a lot done already! Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Your coming along nicely. I'm doing my MF 12 & I think I have over 50 pics frame for frame all over this thing. My hood has the same problems. My PO tried to fix with pop rivets & made a mess. Looking forward to your progress.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am hoping my KBS supplier gets more KBS grey in before this weekend. If not I plan on taking the transmission apart this weekend, hoping it doesn't have a bunch of rust and muck in it like the steering gear box did.

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
The engine was rebuilt a few months back due to a broken rod. I ended up putting a new connecting rod and piston in the engine.
Did you do an overbore? If so who would you recommend to buy one?

DAC

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you do an overbore? If so who would you recommend to buy one?

DAC
no I didn't bore out the engine to a bigger bore. I measured the bore with a micrometer and it was standard bore with no wear or taper wear to the bore so I put a standard size piston back in.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the Friday night/Saturday update. Last night with the frame upside down I applied the kbs rust seal and then let it sit for 10-15 min then sprayed on the MF grey and went to bed. This morning when I went to the garage to do the top of the frame I realized I had put it on too thick, runs down the sides and the edges. I fixed those then proceeded to KBS the top.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Fender Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire I applied the MF grey to the top part of the frame (just no picture yet).

I decided to tackle the transmission next, after a trip to town to pick up a gear puller to get the drive pulley off. I took out the drain plug and like I figured water and a mess of water mixed gear oil or what was left of gear oil. Brown Amber Water Orange Wood Tire Water Liquid Hood Wheel I found an article on here ( cant find it right now) on leaving the left tire bolted to the axle to hold it up to split the case, worked great. Here is what the inside looked like. Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Auto part Metal Machine Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Rim Gear Gear Machine Auto part Rim Metal Fluid Gold Circle Metal Close-up . It is all cleaned up except of the top part of the case is still soaking in parts wash tub. All the gears and bearings looked good, I plan on just cleaning them up and putting it back together. I do have the JD part numbers for the seals and gaskets, I plan on ordering them on Monday. The only part that was real rusty was one of the shifters, a few minutes in the sandblast cabinet took care of it. I also received a little metal mesh basket today that I ordered for putting small parts in to sand blast. I tried it out with the little transmission case bolts, it works much better than trying to hold them in your hand.

Attachments

·
129 Posts
Nice job, looks like it is coming along well. You probably noticed that you lifted the cover off the case, leaving most of the gears in the case. When it comes to the rebuild you may find it easier to start with the upturned cover, build the gears up in that and then put the case back on top. That way the shifter unit goes in easily. It's also the way the manual describes the rebuild - (so easier for me to follow!)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Good thing you split the case on this one. Your doing a nice job & your efforts will pay off soon.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice job, looks like it is coming along well. You probably noticed that you lifted the cover off the case, leaving most of the gears in the case. When it comes to the rebuild you may find it easier to start with the upturned cover, build the gears up in that and then put the case back on top. That way the shifter unit goes in easily. It's also the way the manual describes the rebuild - (so easier for me to follow!)
I will keep this in mind, I did it this way due to the one Axle hub not wanting to come off the shaft. The one side after taking the snap ring off I was able to take off by hand and taping with my rubber mallet. This other side doesn't even want to try to move, I have been applying PB blaster since yesterday.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So you were able to get the piston and rod Did you get the engine together and how does it run if so Glad this went to the perfect home

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you were able to get the piston and rod Did you get the engine together and how does it run if so Glad this went to the perfect home
I did get a piston and rod and have the engine back together, I just have not tried to start it yet, I was waiting to get it on the frame and bolted down and wired up.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update from today-I was able to get the transmission back together this am. I tried last night late after work but after an hour of fighting getting it to go back together I decided best go to bed and regroup in the am. This am I re-read the manual and after the 3 time the transmission is back together. Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Engineering I was not able to get the one hub off and have the axle still in the one side made it more of a struggle than it should have. Here it is with most of it painted I still need to finish painting the bottom part tomorrow. After getting the transmission done, I fixed a spot in the frame where the paint ran. After fixing the paint run I sprayed 2 more coats on the frame and the dash tower. Wood Motor vehicle Gas Flooring Bumper Wood Gas Milling Machine Machine tool Goal for tomorrow is to get the transmission bolted in and then the drive pulleys and linkage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts