Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process to start the restoration of my recently acquired MF16. The engine (Kohler K341) is in a box and was taken apart by the previous owner. I saw on different posts that some people leave the balancing gears out when rebuilding those engines. As anyone done so or is it worth while to go through the trouble of leaving them in and adjust timing?

Also, is there a way to check the governor shaft to see if it's leaking oil or should I just go ahead and replace it?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Welcome to GTT. The "grenade gears" are notorius for destroying engines when they fail. Many guys say that there is no difference in engine vibration when they leave them out. I plan to leave them out when I rebuild my K 321 this fall.

There are some excellant Kohler engine manuals in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day). There is even a rebuilding manual with worksheets to record all measurements as you go. Good Luck, Rick

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
I rebuilt mine last year and left the gears out. Most any body I talked to said to leave them out. But its up to you as to what you decide. My motor runs great, never noticed any difference. Blew snow last year with the tractor, and worked good. We had a lot of snow last year, as you may know.

Any other of my engines I have had apart, the balance gears were already taken out.

Welcome to the site, Lots of smart people on here to ask questions to. Noel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great advice, I'll leave the gears out.

Any advise on how to check for leak on the governor shaft before putting the engine back together?

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,813 Posts
I pulled them out of my CC 127 129 and 149 they rattled everything that was a bit loose especially the hoods.But other than a bit of a hood rattle they ran fine with them out.

I would pull them out.

My gears looked good but the bearings were loose.They had a bit of a wobble to them.Figured the bearings were shot so I pulled them both and found that both Shafts were worn a bit.So I just left them out.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
If you are not confident, leave the balance gears out. You will notice more vibration you absolutely want to make sure your engine mounts are good and tight. I had an engine less balance gears almost jump out of a Cub Cadet one time when I fired it up for the first time not realizing the mounts were only finger tight!

I have never had a bad experience with them. I have had mine magnaflux'd before I reinstalled them and then replaced the bearings and I know at least one of the engines I did that way has at least 500 hours on it now.

The worse thing for those gears is over revving or over heating. I would venture a bet that those two factors killed everyone of the gears that we all hear about.

Ben W.

Reactions: MMartineau44

·
Tinker Master
7,858 Posts
Here's an interesting read for Kohler fanatics and newbies alike HERE

The crankshaft can be rebalanced and the need for balance gears will be eliminated forever. (I think it's on the 3rd page) Good Luck!

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Good stuff the 16s have rubber engine mounts, soaks up a lot of vibration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts