Garden Tractor Forums banner

Mf16 Rear Lift Capacity ?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  TUDOR 
#1 ·
What is the lifting capacity of the 3pt hitch on an MF16?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to GTTalk Rob. I couldn't find a listing for that but a guess would be 3-400 lbs measured 1ft behind the lift arms. It's probably plenty strong to lift most implements that you would want to use. The problem you run into is the front end is too light to lift much weight without adding some ballast to the front. I had a JDx475 with a 3pt. It was rated for 450lbs and with that much weight you would not be able to steer, so I used a front weight on it. I'm sure someone who has one will let you know what the limits are in daily use.

#3 ·
It'll lift enough to bring the front end up in the air. But I'd agree with Brian, somewhere between 300 & 400lbs. It would likely lift a lot more if counter-weighted enough up front, but at the risk of breaking something.

#5 ·
I think you're more likely to have trouble steering then to actually break something. When you first use an implement go slow with it and be aware of any changes in steering feel. If you have a rear blade on and lifted for instance and are driving up a hill that is where you can suddenly discover how light the front end is. Some front weight can be good insurance, although it will make the steering a bit heavier.

#7 ·
I would say start with putting fluid in the tires. Even the front tires will hold 16+ lbs each, for a minimum of 32 lbs extra on front of the tractor. It does help, I used a plow this year for the first time, and was light in the front. I put winsheild washer fluid in the tires (2 gals ea. tire) and it was enough.

#6 ·
I know with the tiller on the back of my Cub, the tractor sure steers easy, but with I mount the snow thrower, I feel I need to add power steering.

#10 ·
Most of the time, it will just be handling the sears tiller that I got with it. The PO left the top link disconnected and let the tillers wheels carry part of the weight. Other than that I'm looking for a blade for it.

On the heavier side, I'm considering dual purposing my engine lift by adding a 3 pt to it. it weighs about 250 lbs. I think I can add some support wheels to it to keep some of the weight of the tractor lift. Any thoughts?

#14 ·
As long as the legs are still on the engine hoist, not a problem. With no spreader legs, and working against the 3PH, big problem. Not 4X the weight on the front, but certainly 80% of the payload weight, or 500 lb, whichever is greater. More, if the reach is more than 4'.

#12 ·
I'm not planning to use it to lift anything very heavy while on the tractor... just things that are too heavy for me to lift by my self. It may not happen anyway. I've got a line on a mid-sized Kubota with loader that needs work. I could put that to better use anyway... needing something to clean up 240 acres my dad owns (mostly farm land, but nearly 100 yrs of junk lying around).

#13 ·
On a forklift if the forklift can lift 6000 lbs the counter weight on the other end will weight as much as it can pickup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.