Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I had this 1650 for a few years, but never had much call to use it since I had so many others. Then my nephew asked if I had a heavy garden tractor I'd sell. I decided to let it go. He asked if I could restore it too, so shot him a cheap price for all. Basically I broke even $ wise & gave him my labor. He's a good nephew & never asks for any help on anything, so he's deserving of a big favor. If you knew some of my other nephews, you'd know just how deserving he is! LOL
Anyway, this is how she started out:

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the color scheme to more match the full size Massey tractors. I think the flint metallic gray chassis looks better.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the red sheet metal painted. I used OE Massey enamel, with high quality wet look hardener.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here she is completed & ready for him to pick up. Was an 8hr one way for him to come get her, but for some reason he didn't mind a bit!

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also let this rear 3pt mower in with the sale as I hardly ever used it. I built it from a Yard Man rider's 52" mower deck. He got a heck of a deal, tractor like new, new tires all around, with rear mower for $1550.00. BTW...I made these decals myself too. Had the wife help me when I overlayed the colors. Extra hands help a lot!

G

·
WOW, WOW, WOW, that is one of the niceest tractors I have EVER seen. The idea of going flint greay on the frame was perfet looks great Now that I have 3 I'm going to start to work. The 1450 is som pristine and I have one deck that is almost new. I'm going to leave it as a mower, put a little pull hitch on the rear to pull garden cart, lawn sweeper, etc. One of my 1650's already has the rear PTO and the hitch, the other does not. I'll put a hitch on that one, but not a PTO, to hard to find. I need to find a couple of plastic trays that fit under the seat, they had them on the MF-14 also right? I'm missing one on a MF-14 and one on a 1650. I also want a new plastic dash cowl on one 1650. Again Daniel, way to go, you are the man.

·
60 Posts
very good looking unit, just curious...how long did the restore take? also, what type of vinyl machine do you have? im assuming you have a regular machine, not a screen print machine since you mentioned multiple layers.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. As to how long it took, I had to refer to the date stamps on the pics, so it took me 4 months of scarce spare time to complete, mind you, the mechanical was already taken care of.
My plotter cutter is a cheap import machine, but does a good job...Vinyl Express. It's a 24" machine, but does much better if I stick to 15" or narrower. No way I can afford a Gerber or any vinyl printer for that matter. Wish I could!

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Those 1650's and 1850's are really starting to grow on me, I wonder if my wife would kill me when I tell her daddy is gettin a new toy? LOL

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Those 1650's and 1850's are really starting to grow on me, I wonder if my wife would kill me when I tell her daddy is gettin a new toy? LOL
Just keep a medical kit on your person whenever you tell her....you'll likely survive!:itsok:

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
olcowhand said:
Just keep a medical kit on your person whenever you tell her....you'll likely survive!:itsok:
LMAO, I will have to remember that. Although after I TELL her I am getting a 1650 or 1850 I can TELL her who's yo daddy and likely not survive LOL

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
I always wanted a Super GT, I was going to buy a JD400 or 420. Then I saw that Massey made the 1855, similar to the 420, minus the hydraulic ports and power steering.
Next thing you know, there was a rusty crusty 1855a sitting in my driveway. Now if I can just get that thing done this summer, I will be happy.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I am going to start getting serious with trying to find one of these. There are really starting to grow on me and I like the idea of the 3pt. I miss my john deere 3320 I had with the front end loader and backhoe. It would have made quick work of this snow but would be way too big with where we live now. The 1650 or 1850 would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
tweidman said:
I don't think they ever made a 1850, just a 1855.
That is good to know, I wasn't sure if it was classified as like 1850 series or if it was only 1855.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts