Garden Tractor Forums banner

MF650 Rototillers

8K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  ckjakline 
#1 ·
I have 2 of these both 23" wide and complete.

First one serial# 1518 003236 (early) Has the tractor+plow on logo, has a square drive input shaft, has the Hydro extension sleeve on it (optional).

Second one serial# 1518 008167 (later) Has plain logo, has splined shaft input, does not have the sleeve extension on it.

Both tillers have splined end drive shaft at the front gear box.
In the AGCO parts books it shows the extension sleeve for use with Hydro tractors, Vari drive don't use it, tractors have different wheel base's.
Sticker on newer tiller says mount in center holes on tractor.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice units. I have a later one on my mf10. I placed an add on craigslist and have been doing a little side work tilling with it. I've made a little $$, met some nice people and really enjoy doing it. I didn't know you needed an extention to use it on a hydro, it's good to know because I have a mf12h also.

#5 ·
We had a nice spring day today so I was using my tiller this afternoon. I have one with the extension mounted on an MF-10. I like the gearing on the 10 better than on my 12 Hydro. I run the tiller with the tractor in the lockout gear and the variable speed down at 1. The only drawbacks with the 650 are that it is a bear to lift, even with the 3 assist springs. I end up flexing the lift rod to pull it out of the soil also if you're breaking up a weedy plot or sod, clods get stuck behind the bracket and I end up losing traction. I've seen other '60 vintage tillers on Deere's and AC's they seem to mount more from the top like a 3 point would rather than from the rear like the MF650. I think those designs probably run a little better in sod, but I'm not sure they are any easier to lift.
I have a second 650 without the extension, (or the gear box) which I don't use anymore. I used to think that there wouldn't be enough HP to run the wider tiller, but other than the lifting weight I don't notice any difference. The MF-10 has power to spare with the wider unit.
I'd like to know if anyone uses theirs on a Massey with ag tires? If so have you noticed any benefit? Thanks.

#10 ·
I don't thing AG tires would make a difference, my turf tires with wheel weights do fine, no traction problems at all.
I'm sure if you were pulling a plow or cultivator it would be a different story.

#11 ·
NYMalloys said:
We had a nice spring day today so I was using my tiller this afternoon. I have one with the extension mounted on an MF-10. I like the gearing on the 10 better than on my 12 Hydro. I run the tiller with the tractor in the lockout gear and the variable speed down at 1. The only drawbacks with the 650 are that it is a bear to lift, even with the 3 assist springs. I end up flexing the lift rod to pull it out of the soil also if you're breaking up a weedy plot or sod, clods get stuck behind the bracket and I end up losing traction. I've seen other '60 vintage tillers on Deere's and AC's they seem to mount more from the top like a 3 point would rather than from the rear like the MF650. I think those designs probably run a little better in sod, but I'm not sure they are any easier to lift.
I have a second 650 without the extension, (or the gear box) which I don't use anymore. I used to think that there wouldn't be enough HP to run the wider tiller, but other than the lifting weight I don't notice any difference. The MF-10 has power to spare with the wider unit.
I'd like to know if anyone uses theirs on a Massey with ag tires? If so have you noticed any benefit? Thanks.
NYMalloys,
You have quite a collection of Masseys. We would love to see pictures of them.

#12 ·
Yes I have a few more than my wife is aware of. I started buying them a while ago. It seemed that years ago the used Cub Cadets and John Deeres were priced for the collectors, but the Massey's weren't. They were priced as used (and usable) old tractors (and the AMFs were just being given away). I bought some of them for less than $30 and would buy them either for parts or just to mount a specific implement. Now even the Masseys seem to fetch a bit of a premium. It may seem like a luxury, but I have enough that I never have to wrestle removing the tiller from a 10 or the snow thrower from a 1010, I just park them in the barn when I've finished for the season. I can take some pictures, but I'll warn you in advance that all still see lots of use and aren't show tractors. Though shows may be in the future if I find a sand blaster at a good price.

#24 ·
That's not a bad deal and it's complete, the first tiller I bought was just the tiller unit no gear box, drive shaft, springs or bracket it sat in the garage for about year before I found a complete one.

#26 ·
Mike 12 said:
Do you have a Gear Box and Shaft to fit a 650 tiller?? TKS, Mike 12
No sorry I have no spare gearbox or drive shaft. Right now I have 2 complete MF650 tillers, 1 is sold awaiting pickup.
There are 2 different drive shafts for these tillers
Early before serial# 1518 003349 Square shaft
Late after serial # 1518 003349 Spindled shaft
This change appears to take place around 1975 and up models

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.