Garden Tractor Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts
The MF7' hydros were more rare, the MF7 gear drives were more common. With the problems they had with the 7 horsepower engines I think a good many of them were disposed of. If you look on the serial number/year sheet in the manuals section for Massey you can get an idea of how many were made.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Took the rear end off a while back and it seemed totally fine. Couldn't figure it out till today...the brake was locked up...ug oh well. Got the hood painted and new engine kinda fitted in. Hood looks as good as new truly amazing to see it all done. I will take some update pics soon.

I'm looking forward to your pictures. I am redoing an 8gear that I have been working on off and on for 2 years. Mine would not run either , but a carb cleaning was all it took to get it going. I have the chassis all done and am starting on the red parts and the engine needs some minor work. They are nice little tractors and handle very well with a tight turning radius.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Actually, those are totally unmolested. The hood was in quite good shape, the paint was just terribly faded. Got the rear fender painted now too. And decided to paint the metal seat part the Massey gray. Looks pretty cool, especially with the nose cone being the gray also.

Where did you get the re-power? Is that the engine that you said cost about $100.00 ? That thing looks huge. I'm gonna tinker a little longer with the Tecumseh on my 7 to see if I can get her to fire up. But the bearings are shot in the starter. Also I think the starter shaft is bent. At least it appears that way when I turn it by hand. any way I was thinking it may be cheaper in the long run to re-power.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
rossboyle52 said:
Where did you get the re-power? Is that the engine that you said cost about $100.00 ? That thing looks huge. I'm gonna tinker a little longer with the Tecumseh on my 7 to see if I can get her to fire up. But the bearings are shot in the starter. Also I think the starter shaft is bent. At least it appears that way when I turn it by hand. any way I was thinking it may be cheaper in the long run to re-power.
Yeah, I figured by the time I figured my carb problem out I was gonna be at least $30 deep. So, yes I bought that one for $90 plus shipping. I got this one off of ebay but Harbor Freight and Industrial Tool both have this same or like one available. Matter of fact this one is on sale right now... 6.5 HP Gas Engine - Horizontal Shaft, OHV

I'm gonna take a look just for S & G. (you'll figure that acronym out) Figure a good used starter is gonna set me back a few bucks along with the carb. kit . Not looking to keep her original. Bought it so Momma can cut the grass. She's to short (vertically challenged ,LOL) to reach the clutch brake on the 12.

Does the shaft turn in the right direction? The one at harbor freight states that it turns counter clockwise.

Yes, the original tecumseh turns counter clockwise. I don't think i've herd of a small engine that turns clockwise.

Reactions: KIRO-1
41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.