Garden Tractor Forums banner

MF7 Questions

7K views 76 replies 15 participants last post by  JDBrian 
#1 ·
I am about to buy an MF7 with some known and unknown issues. I am new the the Massey's and would appreciate any knowledge that would be helpful. It does not have a deck and am wondering if anyone knows where I can get one or at least how much I should spend that would be great. Also, I have hear there is a Honda 8 hp that is pretty much a bolt in, anyone know what model that is or if that is bs? I am pretty sure it needs a new engine and maybe a new rearend. Thanks guys!
Adam

#2 ·
Hey Adam, I redid a MF7, but the the motor was good. I did have to rebuild the carb, other than that it was all working so I don't know about the Honda fitting but I also have heard something about them being used. I have seen the mower decks on ebay but I don't know what they went for, I don't think they were too much. I still have to rebuild my mower deck. I sure like using the MF7 with a cart for cleanup etc. I even use the front blade on it a lot. Good luck and keep us posted on your work.

#3 ·
The MF 7's were more along the Lawn Tractor line. They did have a blower available, & I think a blade, but they were never designed with ground engaging equipment in mind. Unless these are exceptionally rare in your area, I'd say this sounds like a parts tractor.

As for price, it's probably best if you can work it so it's pretty low. The original engine is an aluminum block with no cast liner. I don't know what else used that tranny, but with all the parts you are looking at buying, you may want to take stock of what the best case scenario could be and see how much you want to invest in it ( at this point a realist would double his estimated cost outlay)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, and if you can get it reasonable, it'll be a nice smaller addition to the herd.
Wish you the best of luck on saving the critter.

As for the deck, someone else may be able to tell you if there is another deck that will work... Maybe the 8's?

#4 ·
Looks like I can get it for $50 and the only known issue is that it doesn't have a key, but it seems that the engine and tranny might both be locked...They don't seem to know much about it, so I am going in a little blind. We will see how if goes after work today.

#6 ·
Got it, turns out neither the engine nor the rear are locked up. Was stuck in gear and they assumed it was locked up. Rear end spins when we picked up one tire though. I will probably take some pics today. I am thinking with a gas system clean out and charge the battery I might get lucky and start this thing up. Oh any ideas on a temporary key?

#8 ·
The MF7 and MF8 are identical other then one having a 7hp and the other a 8 hp. The 7hp engines in the MF7's are know to be weak or troublesome. A lot of them were switched to 8hp by the dealers when they blew.

I am sure there is a Honda that will bolt right in.

#10 ·
I just got done blowing snow with my 7. Our new husqvarna 2 stage snowblower's augar kept getting clogged so my 7 had to do the whole driveway. It worked really well! I admit it could have used a couple extra horses but am very pleased with it. Good luck with yours :thumbs:

#11 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Tire

Paints faded, but not terrible. Turns over but I didn't have gas in it yet, seems to shift but the rear end still seems locked...That is my current mystery. It appears to have compression but I haven't put the tester on it yet. Will update. Anyone have any ideas on a starter that won't disengage?

Attachments

#12 ·
I've had a lot of briggs starters do that sometimes when they don't start. the engine has to start for for the starter to disengage. When you turn it over with the starter the engine has to be going faster than the starter for it to disengage. Somtime when they don't start they just ''get stuck''. Hope this helps.

Reactions: middleageddeere
#13 ·
I am sure you all have seen this before. Never understood what little rodents love about these engine.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

It's got spark and compression but will only fire if I dump gas in it. Must have to clean the carb yet. Anyone know if I can get a rebuild kit for this carb? Starter problem fixed itself and still wondering about the rear end.

Attachments

#15 ·
I had the same problem right after i rebuilt mine, try uncrewing the jet on the bottom of the carb and hpefully it pops off. i cranked and cranked on mine and all i got were little ''pops'' but it took right of once i unscrewed the jet, the model number should be h70-130076

Reactions: middleageddeere
#17 ·
The decks from an MF10 and 12 would be too big, I am almost certain of that.

For the carb, I wouldn't worry about getting a carb kit. I have always had good luck pulling the carbs apart and reusing gaskets, sometimes you loose one that tears and have to replace it but it is worth a shot first. The carb definitely needs cleaned. Like was mentioned already unscrew the float needle seat and the main jet and blow everything out real good with compressed air.

The Massey MF7 you got is in great shape other then the faded paint. It already has the headlight kit in it, just not the headlights. You can see the bracket through the headlight holes. The plastic nose piece is also in great shape, they go for $125+ on ebay all the time. I am guessing the transmission is stuck in two gears. You might have to pull the gear shifter off and set both of the shifter forks in neutral and then put the shifter back on. I don't know how much room there is on the 7's or 8's that are gear drive. My 8 is a hydro.

#18 ·
If you do have to pull the bowl off, make alignment marks for the carb to bowl, & the exact positioning for the nut that holds the bowl on. If a carb job hasn't been done before, it still has the original pickup hole for the mainjet. Alignment when you put it back together is critical. If you get a rebuild kit for it, this problem goes away as you replace this tube completely.

#19 ·
Thank you guys so much. You are saving me valuable time and several headaches. On the deck topic...if I repower with a bigger motor would it then be possible to use a 10 or 12 deck? Or did you mean the brackets and whatnot are too big? Thanks again.

#20 ·
middleageddeere said:
Thank you guys so much. You are saving me valuable time and several headaches. On the deck topic...if I repower with a bigger motor would it then be possible to use a 10 or 12 deck? Or did you mean the brackets and whatnot are too big? Thanks again.
I meant size wise. If the deck even fits under there in between the front and rear tires it would be tight and then no room to be able to lift it. With some modifications it might work but I think the mower decks for the 7's and 8's are fairly easy to come by.

#21 ·
middleageddeere said:
It's got spark and compression but will only fire if I dump gas in it. Must have to clean the carb yet. Anyone know if I can get a rebuild kit for this carb? Starter problem fixed itself and still wondering about the rear end.
You can get a rebuild at NAPA stores, it is kit number 7-02020, it will fit the carburetors used on H22 to H70. The Tecumseh kits might still be available, I think they were #32256A, but double check that number. The 7 is a nice little lawn tractor that is very nimble around trees, the cut is only 32".

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know I've seen them on ebay from time to time.
Yep, patience might be the key here.
Have you tried calling guys like Joe's Outdoor Power, or Mower freedom?
I have 3 of those decks, but shipping across the border would be crazy expensive.
You'd be further ahead to find a whole parts machine w/deck. There's one on ebay now.

Oh, I just looked at that 8 on ebay. In Pa. probabley a bit too far away. BUT, it has hub caps!!!

#25 ·
Sherwood is right, buying a whole other tractor, whether it is a parts tractor or a good one is usually the best way. For what you will spend on just a deck for just a couple bucks more you can get the whole tractor. Then you would have the mower deck and spare parts. If you found an 8 then you would have the better 8hp Tecumseh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.