Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a resister/reflector off a MF7 work on my MF14? Have a new one on order but the grass well not hold up for me so i need to get the MF14 going seen my MF7 has a lamb gear box so i thought maybe i would borrow if it would do the job and not fry it so something, not cheap :wallbanging: LOL , thanx Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Do you mean the rectifier/regulator? That may make more sense. I'm not sure if they interchange.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea thats it rectifier/regulator, not sure what i was thinking, too many pop's to the head, lol
thanks for the heads up, Mike

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
If it's a regulator, I don't know the downside here, but that tractor should run a long time without the charging circuit, assuming the battery is good.

Anyone know if running the tractor just on battery without a working regulator can/will cause further issues?

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I don't think it would damage anything unless the regulator was shorted to ground. I would check the connections to the module. Clean the contacts on the module and in the connector. It requires a chassis connection back to the battery so make sure that is OK. Does anyone know if the regulator is the same part on the 8 and 14?

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never thought of that, it should run no problem with fully charged battery, think I well try the one off my MF7, as long as you ar dealing with a 12 volt system can't see it doing it any harm

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Does it look like the same part? The 14 may have a larger alternator and a larger regulator to handle the higher current.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
found a regular off a Honda bike of some sort, was hanging on the wall of someones shop, a little smaller in size an it has a forth wire (for gounding the unit i suspect), hooked it up and did not see any smoke but i do not see any charging also, well have to check things alittle closer tomorrow, just happy i got the key working again and was able to take off the toggle they had too start it when i picked it up, thanks all for your help in this matter, Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Mike, if you measure the resistance between the 2 wires from the alternator you should have a low resistance between them. If not the windings are open. You should be able to measure an AC voltage at these wires when the engine is running.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Sorry to here that! Blew up the engine or just the regulator module?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts