Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to change the fluid in a gil33048c? Im not even sure what fluid to use. The hydraulic line is leaking where it connects to a fitting on the side of the ram. Other than that, i brought this out of a 10 - 20 year slumber. I had to replace the points style coil so I put a magnetron coil on it and by
Passed the coil. Had to track down a blower housing as the old one was rusted out. Had to pull the engine a second time to turn ove the coil as the flywheel was reverse polarity. Rebuilt the flojet carb. Now it runs, just has the hydraulic issue to figure out.

· Fixer of Broken junk
5,204 Posts
This is the 15hp Gilson/Wards but it's the same tractor. The 14 and 15 are really a 16hp.

Manual.

Page 8 says 4 quarts of Type A Automatic Transmission fluid.

Years ago when I had my 3 old Hydro Gilson/Wards GTs I was able to find Type A but it can be hard to find any more.

Found this info. GM states that Dexron 3 is a compatible replacement for Type A.

Type A ATF History And Compatibility

The Type A automatic transmission specification was created by General Motors in the late 1940’s.

Type A ATF was used in the automatic transmissions of every car maker on the market from 1949 to 1958. After that, other auto makers started to offer their own ATF specifications.

The “Type A, Suffix A” specification replaced Type “A” in the late 1950’s. Dexron “B” fluid later replaced Type A, Suffix A.

All iterations of Dexron B, Dexron II and Dexron III ATF products are backward compatible with Type A and Type A , Suffix A fluids.

Newer General Motors specs such as DEXRON VI, DEXRON HP and DEXRON ULV are NOT backward compatible with applications requiring a Type A ATF.

To sum up, to find a Type A ATF, simply look for an ATF that is compatible with the Dexron III specification. Dexron III ATF was specified for General Motors vehicles until 2006. Therefore, it is commonly available. While the label may not list the old Type A spec, note that GM states that Dexron III is a suitable replacement for Type A.

$33.18 with free shipping for a gallon if you don't mind waiting a few days. This says compatible with Dexron 3 on the back label. Valvoline DEX/MERC Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) 1 GA | eBay

· Fixer of Broken junk
5,204 Posts
Spent 6 hrs today removing the hydraulic cylinder. This thing is a pita. It has bad seals in the cylinder and nothing wanted to come apart
Gilson leaves no room to fix this machine. You have to take half of everything apart to fix anything.
They are not to bad. Only thing that I hate is the mounts for the front axle pivot pin are built into the oil sump. And accessing the coil requires removing the engine.

They have ALOT of features built into a rather small but very heavy garden tractor. 16hp engine, shaft drive transaxle, Hi/Lo range on a Hydro and hydraulic lift. A similar machine would be quite a bit larger.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are not to bad. Only thing that I hate is the mounts for the front axle pivot pin are built into the oil sump. And accessing the coil requires removing the engine.

They have ALOT of features built into a rather small but very heavy garden tractor. 16hp engine, shaft drive transaxle, Hi/Lo range on a Hydro and hydraulic lift. A similar machine would be quite a bit larger.
Been there done that. I put a magnetron on it, new blower cover, ne belt, and generator

· Super Moderator
55,876 Posts
Got some dimensions/pics of the cylinder? We may be able to cross it for you.

· Fixer of Broken junk
5,204 Posts
Part number should be Gilson part # 12033 The S series Gilsons used a different cylinder but you could probibly make one work.

A few of the Bolens and Cub Cadet cylinders look very similar but the Hose fittings might be a problem. Alot of the Bolens and Cub cylinders are rebuildable but you might have a hard time finding the parts.

JoesOutdoorPower might be able to find one. They part out lots of old garden tractors on there Ebay store and there web site. He is one of our Site sponcers and a good fella. He's helped me find some hard to find parts in the past. Joes Outdoor Power and Joes Outdoor Power | eBay Stores

This Ebay store is currently parting out a couple old Gilson/Montgomary Wards garden tractors. Send him a PM and see if they have a cylinder. Security Measure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts