Garden Tractor Forums banner

More Reinforcement That I Made The Right Choice In 2010

736 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  UncleWillie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As you know I lost a home to a Flood in 2010 and did not have the heart to rebuild on that location.

Chose to move to higher ground and am glad I did. The property I lost is under seige again this week.

If you scroll down to the city map, the property (I still own it, but the hose is scheduled for demolition) is the first street to the right of S Kelly. There is an 18 ft dike just to the west and I never believed water could get that high.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=dmx&gage=cfxi4

#8 ·
[quote name="mybigwarwagon" post="324116" timestamp="1369786565"]Maybe you can turn it into a rice paddy?

Congrats on the good move[/quote

Nobody grows rice up here, but after that flood in 2010. I saw weeds come up in my lawn that I have never seen in Iowa, during a lifetime of living here.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I was 60 when it flooded. The house was 4 ft above ground level. There was 6 ft of water in the garage/shop at ground level. If I stayed I would have had to put the house 7-8 ft above ground level. I had no idea if I could climb that many steps in 10-15 yrs.
So when i was offered a chance to relocate,, I jumped at it. Oddly enough the house I bought already had a handicap ramp to the deck..

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe you can turn it into a rice paddy?

Congrats on the good move
Nobody grows rice up here, but after that flood in 2010. I saw weeds come up in my lawn that I have never seen in Iowa, during a lifetime of living here.
Nonsense, the Minnesota Wild Rice Growers Association would disagree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.