Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I am hoping that someone can help me find a service manual (pdf or actual book) for my 1978 MURRAY 11/36(11HP B&S with a 36 INCH DECK). I bought it almost 5 years ago when I learned that my half brother TRADED our Dad's MURRAY 11/36 for an 8 ball of meth. I need to mainly get part numbers for the transaxle assembly(all seals and bearings and whatnot) as well as other part numbers. My unit sat for 25 years before I got it. It's sat for the last 4 years due to the blade spindles seizing up and bearings in the spindles falling out. I have spent the last 3 years looking for a Service Manual and a Parts Book for this lovely old beast. Build date code says that it was built 7318(1977 on the 318th day). Yes I know how to read the build date on these.
Motor vehicle Font Red Gas Magenta

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,975 Posts
Ya those are good transaxles. I preferred those transaxles for my "Go Fast" and Mudding tractors that I used to play around with back in the late 1980s to late 1990s because they never seriously broke. I've broken a couple shifters off from clutchless speed shifting and twisted a few axles off but the I've never had a problem with the gears or differential.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
That looks real familiar. I'll have to go look tomorrow but I think I have one like it that was here when I moved in. Tried to remove the wheels once but was just destroying them so I quit.
Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks real familiar. I'll have to go look tomorrow but I think I have one like it that was here when I moved in. Tried to remove the wheels once but was just destroying them so I quit.
Don
yeah I bent the rim on both. BUT at least 1 wheel came off with the axle. I wanna find the seals and bearings(most of the needle bearings are missing in the 1 pic) so that I can rebuild it. I plan on rebuilding the whole tractor as well as build a blade for it. I need to find a seat for it as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Post a picture or two of the tractor! That is a tough little machine.
Here's mine: 1979 Murray 11/36 with Peerless 3 speed. The tractor has never ren real great, smokes a bit, but in general it just keeps going. The brown is rust, natural rust as far as I know. Belt fell off a few days ago, put it back on, but the belt is probably is nearing the end of it's life.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Just need to get new spindles for the old deck. Has/had the STAR blade adapter on the spindles. Somehow the threads got screwed up on the 1 spindle. So it is either rebuild the threads or buy either a 2 pack of new spindles or a new 3 pack of spindles because the 1 of the older ones is still good. Choices, choices. lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts