Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As I mentioned in the introduction of my 1053 it stopped working a few weeks ago. I finally got to open up the motor and it's not pretty. I could use some guidance to finding what I need to fix er up.

Crankshaft is scored bad. Connecting rod is shattered. The cause? Lost oil. Why? Brass nipple coming out the drain hole on the block cracked. That explains why I saw the cloud of smoke from the bottom of the block.

Here;s a few pics.

Attachments

·
Old Iron Junky
1,359 Posts
Thats not good! Pull the piston out and see how bad the cyl. wall is scared up. If not to bad you could get a crank and rod. But if were me I'd look for a different engine

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
With the Rod and Crank being the most expensive parts to replace, I'd look for another TRA-10D engine thats already running or just in need of a partial Rebuild where you just need to do the valves and rings.

There's plenty of them around, and you would be keeping the tractor original by having the same model engine.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I do have a NOS connecting rod. No luck on a crank, though.

I think Joe's Outdoor Power just parted out a TRA10D, too.

Ben W.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats not good! Pull the piston out and see how bad the cyl. wall is scared up. If not to bad you could get a crank and rod. But if were me I'd look for a different engine
When I first opened it the first thing was I pushed down on the piston and it traveled easily to the bottom, exposing the cylinder. There is no wear, scratches, dings, etc ... The piece of the connecting rod that is pinned to the piston moves freely so there is hope that the piston and cylinder are ok.

I'll know more later today.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,233 Posts
I can't tell from your pics if the crank is scored, or if that is just built-up aluminum from the connecting rod.

If that is aluminum deposits, they can be removed using muriatic acid (home Depot , Lowes, etc), or emery cloth. ...Be careful not to remove iron from the crankshaft journal, or create a rough surface. ....When the aluminum is removed, polish the journal with fine scotchbrite.

If need be, a crankshaft can be "built-up" by welding on the journal and then grinding a new surface. .....This is not an inexpensive repair, and is usually only done when a replacement crankshaft can not be found, or if a replacement is too costly.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't tell from your pics if the crank is scored, or if that is just built-up aluminum from the connecting rod.

If that is aluminum deposits, they can be removed using muriatic acid (home Depot , Lowes, etc), or emery cloth. ...Be careful not to remove iron from the crankshaft journal, or create a rough surface. ....When the aluminum is removed, polish the journal with fine scotchbrite.

If need be, a crankshaft can be "built-up" by welding on the journal and then grinding a new surface. .....This is not an inexpensive repair, and is usually only done when a replacement crankshaft can not be found, or if a replacement is too costly.
I'll try this and see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Super Moderator
54,004 Posts
Try taking pics from farther away. I think your camera won't do closeups!

Reactions: MyBolens1053

·
Super Moderator
54,004 Posts
From what I can make out, that crank looks beat up.

Reactions: MyBolens1053
1 - 13 of 13 Posts